My new no HDD box CCTV

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so finally ordered my CCTV, arriving today / tomorrow.

After going around in circles for days (and I first started thinking about it about a year ago) decided to go with a cheap and simple set up:

2 Neo smart cams - these will be in the house, facing rear kitchen and lounge French doors.
1 ieGeek Security WiFi Outdoor Camera - facing towards the front door on the side of the house

The Neos cameras are fully wifi, storage 12 second clips on cloud for free, which is saved for 14 days. App sends alerts to mobile, you can save video clips to your phone and share etc.

The ieGeek has a SD card. Sends notifications to phone, can view recordings via app and save to phone.

Total cost £100. I know there are risks with wifi scrambling and limitations with short recordings, but the main aim is to act as a deterrent and provide alerts if something happens - 4k images sitting on hard drives aren't much good if the police don't bother investigating.

Will let you know how it goes.

Sponsored Links
I've not even received it yet, if it turns out crap I'll let you know!

Police have requested CCTV footage several times on systems I have installed although the premises the cameras were on were not affected by any crime.

I have provided footage to local police on suspicious individuals in the area, what surprised me they collected some of the footage the same day.

It really depends on the crime committed and the quality of the footage available.

I am aware of police looking initially at footage of some systems and not requesting the footage as its been inadequate to use (not installed by us), that's when we get requests for an upgrade to the existing system.

Sponsored Links
Must get one of those CCTV signs ... funny, you'd think Amazon would try to upsell everytime somebody bought a camera.

How will those internal cameras be a deterrent? They will be invisible to anyone considering a break in.

You can get little houses for the NEOs/WYZE cams and they work OK outside. In the future you can run WYZE/DaFang software and have an RTSP feed if needed...

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
The 2 neos set up. Very easy to set up. Mobile notifications tested when i was in Tesco and kids home. Auto disarmed when i got in. Night vision looks good.

IeGeek on kitchen table, looks more involved!

Screenshot_20190719-213036.png

How will those internal cameras be a deterrent? They will be invisible to anyone considering a break in.

they are not, got an external one by the front door too (well, currently on the kitchen table).
And CCTV sign on the gate!

Are the other people living in your house happy you have installed internal cameras that means you can spy on them all day?

A bit creepy :cautious:

Looks like you’ve been burgled already.

Just joking, I know what it’s like with kids. :ROFLMAO:

Are the other people living in your house happy you have installed internal cameras that means you can spy on them all day?
A bit creepy :cautious:

Well, they only record when set as alarmed. They are there for when we're not. The mobile app is set to alarm and disalarm them automatically.

Looks like you’ve been burgled already.
It's a deterrent I set up with the kids, has been effective so far!

Not got the SD card yet so no recording, but it does send photos to my email when it detects motion. Here's the proof.
Once the sd card is inside it'll also send a video clip by email, and allow playback and downloading through the mobile app. So even if somebody nicks the camera, there will still be clip and image stored on email.
Have set motion for only the drive area. Got another pic when I pulled up on the drive early. Photos are not very good quality, cannot read number plate - hoping the video will be better.
Below pic from a desktop IP camera app, not connected with the product itself.

upload_2019-7-21_16-18-4.png

upload_2019-7-21_16-21-6.png

OK, so the ieGeek had to be sent back. It was great when it was working, but recording stopped several times, for hours at a time, for no reason. Then some email alert that should have happened didn't.
So not reliable enough to be useful. Camera felt hot, so maybe a failure problem. Had a dodgy looking fella pictured walking up drive, but no video recording at the time. And a cat passed at 3am, and no video. Could've been the same person in his cat burglar gear.

Neos running nicely, and might get another 2 for outside - you can set a camera to either be on all the time or to auto-arm when you leave the house, so the outside cams can run 24/7.
Apparently you can put an sd card into the Neos too, so have longer playback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back