My oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I nearly forgot to post some piccies of the oak floor I laid.

This is before

View media item 13280
This is during. As you can see this was one of the surprises with an unsupported internal wall. This wall runs up two floors and is therefore structural. It was just built on the floorboards.

View media item 13281
This is with the noggins and insulation. I had to nog every 450mm because the joists ran the wrong way.

And this is with the ply down
View media item 13283
Now the fun bit:
View media item 13284
Surface nailed
View media item 13285
and oiled
View media item 13286
I've now added the skirting and built a couple of radiator covers witht he left over oak.

Sponsored Links
Looks nice. Make sure you maintain it every 5 to 6 months to keep it healthy and looking as nice as it does now.

I will do, thanks. I got three coats of oil on. I’d have liked a fourth, but the drying time is too long and I needed to start putting furniture back.

I surface nailed and chamfered all the edges. I think it looks great, but I’m biased.

It was a lot more work than I thought, but long days and graft paid off.

I’ve finished the room and even made some rad covers with the leftover oak.

It was expensive, but unlike carpet will get better with age.

Thanks to all those that helped with advice that gave me the knowledge and confidence.

looks good. Well done.

One question tho, why face nail and not secret nail?

Was that the look you wanted or another reason?

Sponsored Links
Good question Matty,

Surface nailing seems to be a little controversial and I don’t understand why. Everyone wants to secret nail their wood. I bought some really decent oak and I didn’t want it to look like laminate, so I ran a block-plane down the edges and surface nailed.

I’ve seen it in a lot of older places and I thought it looked good. Hiding nails seems to be a modern thing. I used rose-head cut nails, so they look good when beaten into the wood and I put them in at a slight angle to stop them lifting.

It wasn’t an easy choice because what I decided to do was going to be there for ever. Some of the nails are dummies. The boards run over pipe, so I put a little Gripfill down, cut the nails off, drilled and hammered them in.

Do you not like the look?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back