My Octavia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dilemma.

Would you good folk please help me?

Some of you know I have been in hospital. For medical reasons, the DVLA have taken my licence away. I hope soon to get it back, but exactly when I do not know. Even if I do, the car will not be in regular use.

My 2002 silver Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Elegance Estate + options with 85K does not get a great deal of use at the best of times, but recently it has been completely ignored. As a consequence, bits are going wrong.

There are five issues:

1. A slipping clutch.

2. A clonky suspension, when turning a corner: possibly a bush?

3. A possible turbo fault, resulting in restricted acceleration: MAF sensor, sticky vanes?

4. A leak in the boot, causing water ingress, which I cannot trace.

5. A small muffled bang shortly after switching off the engine.

It has MOT until 22 July.

Tax till end June.

I am off work, greatly reduced pay.

My options:

1. SORN the car. Save up & fix it cheaply & sell it.

2. Sell it as is: what would it be worth?

3. Another option?

What would you do??

Thanks, guys.

Sponsored Links
Clonky suspension could be the top mount bushes wearing out. They're cheap to buy and not too hard to replace.

Restricted acceleration could be either clogged vanes on the turbo or a dirty/faulty MAF. There are a few tricks to cleaning out a turbo without removing it but the simplest one is to find a wide open bit of road and with the engine well warmed up hold the engine at high rpm for a bit - though there is always the possibility of blowing the engine if you overdo it!
To clean the MAF squirt a bit of carb cleaner / electrical contact cleaner over the wire inside and leave it to dry off. Its not a permanent fix but its cheaper than a new MAF.

The boot leak could be the pipe has come loose from the rear window washer jet - happens occasionally in Mk4 Golfs.

Do you happen to know how much a clutch would cost, roughly?

I got a quote from Mr Clutch at 350, then they sent another email saying 699.41 with dual mass flywheel so I'm well confused.

I'd guess the second quote is if they have to replace the flywheel too which is £200-300 by itself.

Last clutch I had changed was in my old BX where the flywheel was scored but the guy just popped it into the machine shop across the road and got them to skim it for a few quid.

Sponsored Links
Just don't spend too much on the car, as I see a few VAG estates on Gumtree for very small money.
I'm not sure if you will get a return on the heavy work, like the clutch.

But good luck, whatever you decide

Oh great!

You lot are supposed to be cheering me up!! ;)

Don't forget the brake fluid change too.

Thanks for your help.

I followed the link. There's lots of choice, but the most expensive was £306 plus the fitting, so that gives me an idea of cost. :eek:

What do you think the muffled bang could be?

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your current situation, and I hope things will take a turn for the better soon.
A dilemma indeed! For my opinion, for what its worth, I do think you should let this one go.
For clutch work, £600+, timing belt (plus water pump, tensioner and coolant) £325, ignore the suspension knock and the boot leak (could actually be a fault in the rear doors, that one), turbo issues, from actuators to vanes to egr system - price is anyone's guess.
Obviously your car isn't worth much but on the other hand there are plenty of second hand bargains around when the time comes to buy again.
Someone will reincarnate the car into a taxi....
As for the bang after switch off....well, still scratching me head about that one - maybe you could identify the area in which its coming from?
John :)

Get yourself over to briskoda forum,

Some lads on there that know octavias inside and out,

If it has sticky vains then if a good thrash doesn't sort it then it could get expensive to fix

I know it's a while ago, but thanks for everybody's help.

I've had the clutch and suspension fixed and it now has a ticket, but still no tax or insurance. I've been over to Briskoda and someone expressed interest so I'll try there. If not, I'll put it up on ebay and see if anyone sniffs.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Back