My oil central heating has stoped heating my hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,This is my first post,My oil central heating has stoped heating my hot water it heats the Rads perfectly but no more hot water,a friend told me to turn the valve at the boiler a little I have turned and turned but still no hot water.Now i am not sure what position the valve was at before I started.The only other problem I had with the boiler was just over a year ago everytime we turn the heating on we had to go out and press the button at the boiler to start it,and sometimes it would switch off in 1 or 2 hour later,so we ha to keep pressing the button to start it.That problem has gone now it works fine everytime
Please can someone help me,get the hot water working again,I am not affraid to have a go myself if someone can explian what to do.
I have had the heating on now for one hour and I just checked the 20mm copper pipe that goes into the middle of my hot water tank and the pipe is warm not as hot as the Rads,it does not seem to pass water into the tank,could it be a simple block in the bend at the Tank.
Thanks

PS.Great site

Sponsored Links
Does your heating system have a valve as seen in FAQs number 3?

If so have a read and try to move the arm.

Does your hot water cylinder have a stat?

If so adjust it to max to see if the hot water heating starts, you should hear a click from it as you adjust.

Hi ,thanks for your reply,no the boiler does not have a auto valve it has a standard brass valve with red circle grip adjustment its fitted on a 3/4 inch brass pipe that is at middle height on the boiler the the pipe goes through the wall into my house,it is always hot both sides of the valve when when the heating is on,but there is a valve at the bottom of the hot water tank,it can be turned from 1 to 5 and it has a thin wire coming from it to a copper fitting that is pressed against the side wall of the tank under the jacket.

Does your heating system have a valve as seen in FAQs number 3?

If so have a read and try to move the arm.

Does your hot water cylinder have a stat?

If so adjust it to max to see if the hot water heating starts, you should hear a click from it as you adjust.

Hi ,thanks for your reply,no the boiler does not have a auto valve it has a standard brass valve with red circle grip adjustment its fitted on a 3/4 inch brass pipe that is at middle height on the boiler the the pipe goes through the wall into my house,it is always hot both sides of the valve when when the heating is on,but there is a valve at the bottom of the hot water tank,it can be turned from 1 to 5 and it has a thin wire coming from it to a copper fitting that is pressed against the side wall of the tank under the jacket.

Sponsored Links
I don't know anything about the valve near the tank that goes from 1 to 5 but I assume that it is some kind of thermostat. Maybe someone else can help on that one. As 75pete said, if you have an electrical cylinder thermostat, move it backwards and forwards and see if it "clicks". If it does, turn it to a high reading and see if the water heats up.
Have you got a small "fill and expansion tank" in your loft? If so has it got any water in it? Is the ball-valve that feeds this tank stuck? Do you have an electrical operated valve anywhere in the pipe going to the centre of the hot water cylinder?
Your boiler is producing heat so don't mess with it. Provided all was working before, put all the valves that you have moved back where they were.

the valve with the wire is a tapstat,it controls the hot water temp.you could remove the head and check the pin has not stuck or turn it up to no 5.the pin will be under the head with numbers on it,just wiggle the pin up and down gently do not pull it up too far as you may get wet.

Thanks for that numpty1. I've never personally come across one of those "Tapstat" things but it does sound favourite. Best do what numpty1 says coleaine but don't forget to check the "fill & expansion tank". ( It's easy and you, hopefully, won't get wet!!)

I have tried to work at the valve with the numbers 1 to 5 its called SUNVIC,I do have asmall tank in the loft,what should i check with it apartfrom it having water in it.

The SUNVIC valve ,I used a small knife to take the top cap off thinking that I would be able to take it apart,but I cant see how,I havejust triedmoving the wire that goes into it.I did find the dial that clicked at the boiler when I increased or decreased.

O/k Coleaine, its looking like your Sunvic is the problem.

If you have been unable to free it, replace it. Unless it can be isolated either side of it, the system will need to be drained down.

How old is it? 10/15 years.....its had a good run.

The small tank should have about 4in of water for topping up the system, its into this tank you would add the inhibitor when you refill your system.

If you have been lucky and freed it, you can still just add some inhibitor into the small tank anyway. This will not stop the fault if it happens again but is good practice.

Once free, try to change the settings say, once a year to keep it free.

If you Google Sunvic you will see how it works etc

the head on the sunvic will be held on with either a collar that screws down on the brass body,if it is an old one it will have a screw at the base of the plastic which needs loosening before you pull the head off.

http://www.hav.co.uk/products/shw-detail.asp?pid=12951&cid=1001

just to be sure is the above product similar to what you have.

Yes its like the one on the left of the picture,so is there a screw at the bottom of the white plastic turning knob,there is a cap at the top which i removed but it did not help me.

Just like to thank all you Guys for helping me.

slacken the head retaining clamp at the bottom of the head where it joins the brass body and wiggle the head off to reveal the pin in the centre of the brass body under the head.
to aid removing the head turn it up to max[5] before loosening the retaining clamp.

Cheers guys for all your help,We have hot water.
I could not get the top off the sunvic,so I sprayed a little WD40 into the pin position and tapped with the handle of a screwdriver,and left over night,hey presto its working.

I can't Thank you guys enough for all your help,My electric bill is 205 pound per month with using the water heater all the time to have baths ,showers and ,my kids where driving me crazy ,my Daughter having 2 baths a day,I just saw the pounds Signs each time the water heater was turned on.

If I can help any of you out with Computer problems ,just send me a message.

You Guys are the BEST..

THANKS

Paul....

Well done coleiane!
Ta! but I don't need any help with my computer. As I am self-employed and therefore my own IT department, I can throw the PC out of the window into the garden on my own!

My electric bill is 205 pound per month with using the water heater all the time to have baths ,showers and ,my kids where driving me crazy ,my Daughter having 2 baths a day,.....

Hell's teeth, once a week is enough. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back