My radiator is leaking from what seems to be the valve!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiator seems to be seeping out of the bottom part of the valve as shown in photo.
Can I just tighten this or is it time to call the plummer out?

Sponsored Links
Check the small gland nut 2ins above as it could be running down to where you think it is leaking ?
If it is where you say then give it a tweak and see if it stops.
Don't overdo it .

Check the small gland nut 2ins above as it could be running down to where you think it is leaking ?
If it is where you say then give it a tweak and see if it stops.
Don't overdo it .

Gland?
Which direction should I turn it, is there a chance of increasing the leak?

The gland nut is the small nut at the base of the spindle that is sticking out the top of the valve.ie the bit that turns on/off.
Clockwise will tighten.

Sponsored Links
The gland nut is the small nut at the base of the spindle that is sticking out the top of the valve.ie the bit that turns on/off.
Clockwise will tighten.

OK its not that just checked and bone dry, its the nut I originally thought. Im going to try and tighten now.

get two adjustables
1 for nut to the copper
1 to hold the valve and tighten it bit don`t over do it
as you may make it worse by driping the olive

get two adjustables
1 for nut to the copper
1 to hold the valve and tighten it bit don`t over do it
as you may make it worse by driping the olive

Ive tighten it a bit but it still seems to be seeping very slightly, I wipe it dry and it seems fine but when I go back to it the pipe is damp again!
Im too scared of over tightening it to tighten it any more.
Any advice would be VERY much appreciated please?
Do you think the corrosion of the pipe may be the cause?

Personally, I'd try and tighen it a bit more.

If your not prepared to do that, then drain the c/h system down and re-make the joint.

They are the only 2 options you have, unless you want to add internal leak sealer which may be a bad idea depending on the make & model of your boiler.

Mr. W.

Personally, I'd try and tighen it a bit more.

If your not prepared to do that, then drain the c/h system down and re-make the joint.

They are the only 2 options you have, unless you want to add internal leak sealer which may be a bad idea depending on the make & model of your boiler.

Mr. W.

Mr W, thanks for your comment. What do you think of the photo I have included, does the corrosion look bad to you or is this quite common?
Also whats most likely to happen if I over tighten?

looks to me like someone has tried to fix it in the past as it looks from the photo like plumbers mate on the nut.

If you over tighten a nut it, at worst will leak more thats it.

What kind of system have you got? Combi/Tank and cylinder/elson tank/unvented tank?

You could mend it "live" if you tell me what system you have I can be more help

looks to me like someone has tried to fix it in the past as it looks from the photo like plumbers mate on the nut.

If you over tighten a nut it, at worst will leak more thats it.

What kind of system have you got? Combi/Tank and cylinder/elson tank/unvented tank?

You could mend it "live" if you tell me what system you have I can be more help

Thanks for your time mate, here's a pic maybe you can tell.

u got open vent system y plan
drain sytem turn stop tap off undo not wrap ptfe above the olive
reconecte pipe put inhibtor in to the small tank in loft
refill system bled all rads and cylinder
and u should be fine
while your at it good terms with your next door they got out side tap just give rads once through with an hose pipe ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back