My RCD trips every few days at random

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI. I know since I dont live in UK I shouldnt post forums here but I thought Singapore and UK have a general similarity when it comes to fuse box and stuff, so I would be glad If anyone could help me. First of all my electrical knowledge might not be that great so forgive me if I use a wrong term or anything. My house fuse box has 2 main circuit breaker(RCD ?) and a few smaller circuit breakers. Recently one of the RCDs trips like once or twice a week at a random time. When it has tripped I have not been using any iron,water heater, washing machine or dryer, and the only things that was on was the fridge and everything else was off(including lights). So when it tripped I tried to use the process of elimination, I turned everything off and then I restarted the RCD ( the test button works as it should btw) and then I turned every light and socket and appliance one at a time every 15 minutes, but it didnt trip. Since each time that it trips i'm not using many appliances i dont think it is due to overload. An electrician came and looked at it and he couldnt find any problem, but the RCD still trips randomly every few days. can it be the RCD is faulty? Any advice and help would be appreciated. thank you

Sponsored Links
Do you have more than one socket circuit with the second circuit being protected by an RCD/RCCB/RCBO that has not been tripping.
If so try plugging the fridge in that via extension lead if necessary.
See if that has an affect either way.
And RCDs can go faulty, did the electrician test the RCD?

Thanks for the reply. Pretty much almost all the plugs are connected to the RCD that trips and the other one is connected to most lights. The electrician just looked and checked the power of the RCD and fuses, and used the elimination method trying to find the culprit which was not successful. I think I can safely say he didnt know how to fix it. I'm planning to change the RCD that doesnt trip with the one that trips to see what happens.

Sponsored Links
If there are several items which appear to trip the RCD then it is un-likely any of them are responsible. The most likely cause is a fault between Neutral and Earth on a circuit that is not supplying the appliances. The MCB for that ciruit can be turned OFF but the fault will still be able to trip the RCD.

The fault diverts neutral current from the RCD causing the un-balance which causes the RCD to trip.

The electician needs to carry out insulation resistance checks on ALL circuits with special attention to the insulation between Neutral and Earth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back