My registry files were corrupt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a similar problem. My registry files were corrupt and the laptop would not boot up. So, I bought a new hard drive and reinstalled XP onto it. Everything is back to normal now.

However, my problem is that I bought an IDE to USB caddy to connect the old internal drive up as an external drive with the hope that I could retrieve all the data from it. I hook it all up, the disk is recognised and appears as a drive in my computer. However, when I go to look in this drive, it just comes up with "Do you want to reformat ???" Obviously, I dont because i'll lose everything. Is this because of the corrupt registry files ? If so, is there anyway to bypass these to allow me to get the data off?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the drive is kaput!

Don't take a hammer to it just yet though, as I could be wrong. (there's always a first time :LOL: )

colinjake90 said:
I have a similar problem.
Err, no. You have completely different problem, which means that you're hijacking this topic.

Sponsored Links
Hi.

I have a similar problem. My registry files were corrupt and the laptop would not boot up. So, I bought a new hard drive and reinstalled XP onto it. Everything is back to normal now.

However, my problem is that I bought an IDE to USB caddy to connect the old internal drive up as an external drive with the hope that I could retrieve all the data from it. I hook it all up, the disk is recognised and appears as a drive in my computer. However, when I go to look in this drive, it just comes up with "Do you want to reformat ???" Obviously, I dont because i'll lose everything. Is this because of the corrupt registry files ? If so, is there anyway to bypass these to allow me to get the data off?

Many Thanks

You may be able to use some data recovery software to get to your data. If you don't have software or don't want to try it yourself, you could always send me the drive and i'll give it a shot.

Back