My turn for Photo Of The Week

Coljack, thats why i was asking if it was lead, i couldn't be bothered to look at all the photos as they take forever to load on my fliptop although I didn't moan about it!

Sponsored Links
LoveRocket - What's the problem? He found some old dodgy wiring when doing up his kitchen and shared the pictures with us.

I found similar in my own kitchen when I ripped all the plaster off. 6mm T+E left the CU up the wall into the ceiling the into a junction box, then old black rubber cable above the ceiling to a connection half way across the room consisting of a ceramic terminal block wrapped in some kind of charred cloth tape, then rubber cable to another JB above the cooker with a nice new 6mm T+E from there down to the cooker switch and outlet plate. I wish I'd taken photos now.

My guess is that a cowboy was hired to replace the cooker wiring and just made it look right at each end.

I replaced it myself with one length of cable.

(as with the rest of the wiring, my electrician mate said I did a good job when he spent a few hours testing and notifying)

What kind of socket are you planning to install?
BS EN 60309-2.

You haven't mentioned RCD protection (or testing thereof),
Because it's not needed.

are you aware of the regulations in BS7671:2008 regarding concealed cables?
You know I am, but in your inane thrashing around to fail and find something real to moan about (but successfully making yourself look childish and stupid) you seem to have forgotten that fact.

(Or, like part-p, do you just ignore them?)
No.

Do you know how to safely and correctly use that test equipment, and is it in cal?
Yes and yes.

So, other than lying, how do you plan to deal with any questions about electrical work (or bodging) when you come to sell the house?
By telling the truth.

Oh - and I will repeat my request for you to please provide evidence that anything I have done qualifies as bodging.

You may still feel free to take the opportunity to try and make yourself not look stupid.

Oh, and get some decent tiles. :rolleyes:
Probably won't be having any, but if I do they will be decent ones.

LoveRocket - What's the problem?
I'm only guessing, but I think he may have entered a competition somewhere with a prize for the person who can make themselves look the biggest idiot.

I think he's in with a good chance.

Anyway, re the Imageshack problems; I genuinely had no idea it was like that, so apologies to anybody inconvenienced. I doubt it was downloading anything malicious - most of the images were about 2MB, and one was nearly 4MB.

I'll look for an alternative.

Sponsored Links
I have been a major learner from the info posted on this site. (I have also been a tad depressed from a number of drama queens who get their rocks off here, too.) I would just like to say that there a a fair number of significant contributors here that I admire & respect for their knowledge & pragmatism. I include (amongst others) B-a-s-, Coljack, Taylortwocities, electronicsuk. I'm sure I've missed some high-value contributors out, & I apologise for that, but rest assured guys, you are doing a very valuable job in spreading knowledge around. --- THANK YOU

that "conduit" that you've dug up looks like it might be a gas pipe BAS.. ..

are there any gas outlets near where it heads?
There are, and that was my initial worry.

But it's B/E steel conduit - probably whatever the imperial equivalent of 20mm was (¾")?

This is where it stopped at the top, and you can still see discolouration on the painted wall before they tiled over it, and a couple of fixing holes. It's in about the right place for a cooker switch to have been.

img1437c.jpg

Are you using steel tube to avoid the need for RCD protection like what I did in my house?:cool:

Fair enough, if you are installing to avoid the need for RCD protection, and I am also presently surprised that your test equipment is in cal.

Interesting use of Ceeform, do you often change cookers or is this just a manifestation of your aesthetic preferences?

Although you still haven't explained exactly how you will deal with questions your bodging when it comes to time to sell the house. You say you will tell the truth, and how do you expect "I bodged in a new cooker circuit, broke the law by failing to notify the LABC, and thus have no paperwork" will go down with a buyer and their agent?

Are you using steel tube to avoid the need for RCD protection like what I did in my house?:cool:
Well for this particular socket I wont be. But I will be for part of the run to/from the switch.

That wall is a mess of plumbing further along, so I'm going to board it out to just below the height of a worktop. Since that wall will be entirely covered with units and splashback I figured that would also save me some plastering expense and would mean no hacking off of tiles. :evil:

Below that, running horizontally, is 50mm galvanised trunking, up from which in various places will be steel conduit to sockets and switches. The slightly recessed surface 60309 I'm installing will be below the plasterboard, so I'm going to use flexible conduit to that. BS1363 sockets will be RCD protected, but the conduit will just make installing the cables easier. 47mm boxes screwed straight to the wall line up well with 50mm trunking for conduit drops.

I see no evidence of bodging. There is a failure to notify LABC, which BAS is aware of and it is up to him to face the consequences. No one is denying that.

If you have a geniune point to make, then go for it. If you're just tring to score points, or get a rise out of BAS, then don't.

I see no evidence of bodging. There is a failure to notify LABC, which BAS is aware of and it is up to him to face the consequences. No one is denying that.

If you have a geniune point to make, then go for it. If you're just tring to score points, or get a rise out of BAS, then don't.

Sorry. You're right RF, there's enough berating people for ignoring part-p on this forum as it is. As you say, if people are dishonest enough break the law, then that's for them to worry about.

Fair enough, if you are installing to avoid the need for RCD protection, and I am also presently surprised that your test equipment is in cal.
Never mind - I'm sure you'll come to terms with it.

Interesting use of Ceeform, do you often change cookers or is this just a manifestation of your aesthetic preferences?
Neither, and the aesthetics are irrelevant, as it won't show.

It's a freestanding cooker, and the gas connection is by flexible hose and bayonet, so I figured I'd have the electrical connection detachable too.

Although you still haven't explained exactly how you will deal with questions your bodging when it comes to time to sell the house.
Ah - the 'b' word again, and still no evidence to justify it.

Do you really think you need to do more to win the "I made myself look like a complete t**t" competition you have entered?

You say you will tell the truth, and how do you expect "I bodged in a new cooker circuit, broke the law by failing to notify the LABC, and thus have no paperwork" will go down with a buyer and their agent?
Given that I won't have bodged it, won't say that I have, and will have an EIC I imagine that the issue of no Building Regulations completion certificate will be a matter of little concern to them. If not then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Given that I won't have bodged it, won't say that I have, and will have an EIC I imagine that the issue of no Building Regulations completion certificate will be a matter of little concern to them. If not then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I bet you planed this work before 2004? You should see my plans!!!

I could claim that.

I'm even using red & black cables. :D

And I've had some of the accessories a while, but not all.

The 32A socket is now screwed to the wall behind the existing cooker, so can't look at that, but I can't see any obvious date code on the plug or the cable.

But it's all irrelevant - I've no desire to lie. I'm happy enough that nothing will happen to me if I tell the truth. No immediate plans to sell anyway.

Good luck to you then Banal, if you think a solicitor will be happy with "I broke the law and thus don't have any paperwork from the LABC, but here's an EIC what I filled out myself. What's that, oh no, I'm not an electrician..." then you march on my son.

Keep up the good work,

Over and out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back