I was digging in the garden and found this JB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I eventually found it.
The house we've moved to has power in the greenhouse and a shed. I was told verbally that "there's a junction box somewhere near that tree". The garden was so overgrown that it was impossible to see anything - but yesterday SWMBO started by pulling out a bit of ivy and then got into "I've started so ..." mode until a section was clear. This revealed an SWA running off towards the shed above ground - so I started following it back the other way as that was the logical place to find a junction. Where it disappeared into the ground I started to dig ... carefully ... and about a foot down I found the cable going under a yellow plastic bag. Hmm, cable going under a plastic bag - sets alarm bells ringing :whistle: Eventually I found a JB (that's a water pipe to the greenhouse next to it) which contrary to my fears after seeing the plastic bad was actually a sealed one.
I'll add that given other "interesting electrics" in the property, I was keen to find this junction and see if it was OK.
20180522_182229_001.jpg

Looking inside I found :
20180522_182254.jpg

Hmm, not great, but I suppose it could be worse !

And pulling back the carrot on the third gland, I find a gland that is (at least nominally) sealed :
20180524_002528.jpg

This gland was loose where it was screwed into the JB, and looking at them, it doesn't look like any of them are really properly sealed. For this one, there's a compression seal between the cable sheath and the gland body - but no seal between the two parts that clamp the SWA armour. Is that normal ?

Any thoughts on how the connections could be improved - given the limitation that this is teeing into an existing cable that is buried for some distance to etiher end and so it's not practical to "pull a little slack".

I'll need to do some measurements to work out protection. At the moment it's 1.5mm² SWA fed from a B32 MCB - with some T&E of unknown size between CU and the SWA (I haven't been inside the CU yet to see which cable is which). Like I said, there's a few things like this that need looking at as I work down the list :eek:

Sponsored Links
Hmm, says "providing an environmental seal on the outer cable sheath". Says nothing about sealing between the parts of the gland (particularly where it clamps the armour) and sealing between gland and body - which is what I observed when I took it apart to check. Still, it seems dry enough inside.

Sponsored Links
Even so, that JB seems suprisingly dry..
It was buried under a plastic bag, any fule knows that a plastic bag is all that's needed to keep outdoor 'lectics dry :D
Actually, it was buried at least a foot down, but in a well drained location.

Maybe the yellow plastic bag was instead of cable marker tape?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back