Junction box problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this.

I've been trying to make a junction box connection in the top of an underground garden rainwater storage tank. The SWA feed cable has had the correct gland fitted and screwed into a 20mm thread in the box. The flexible round cable from the pump has been fitted with a plastic gland and metal backnut.

I've used an IP66 junction box from Toolstation, ref 47979, which is a plastic box with the lid secured by 4 quarter-turn fastenings. (I was surprised to find there was no rubber or similar seal between the lid and box, but as it was rated IP66 assumed it must be OK).

After a week the RCCB trip in the house blew and the junction box had water droplets inside.

Am I missing something?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Water level covering the JB during heavy rain, unable to flow out of the overflow fast enough? Pictures of the installation would help.

Thanks for that Davelx.

I'm due at the house next Wednesday so can take photo and post it then.

Here are photos as requested. the tank is approx 600mm diameter and the JB is about 1800mm above water level, so there would need to be a huge volume of water to quickly fill it whilst outlet can't cope. Water has never been seen overflowing from under top drain cover. I'm thinking should the cable glands have been waterproof type - is there such a thing? IMG_0101.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 177
Sponsored Links
If you mean the armoured glands then yes there are BW and CW only the CW glands are watertight if done properly.
Could it just be condensation building up, what is the box actually for and does it need to be inside, maybe better located outside

Wiska outdoor junction boxes claim to be very watertight.

It used to be fairly common to fill outdoor junction boxes with electrical waterproof compound - no one seems to do that now.

It also helps for cable entries to be at the bottom of the box, if water and gravity are to be entered into the equation.

A CW SWA gland is a must, and the plastic stuffing glands are available with a seal that goes between the box and the gland.

Last edited:
Thanks both.
The junction box connects the SWA feed to the flexible pump cable. The tank is in the middle of a lawn, so it’s not really possible to site it outside of the tank system Rocky.
I’m pretty sure it must be condensation and I did re-use the stuffing gland that was on the original flexible cable. Sparkright, I see Screwfix do a gland with a neoprene rubber seal (80851), I presume that’s what you mean, so I think I’ll try that with a BG Ip66 box.
Many thanks again for your comments chaps.

The SWA feed cable has had the correct gland fitted

Is it an external gland or an internal gland ?

Internal glands are not water tight as they do not have a seal around the outer sheath of the SWA and are not suitable for use in damp or humid locations.

External gland have a seal around the outer sheath of the SWA which prevents moisture reaching the inside of the gland

Thanks Bernard, I used the original gland but I’ll replace it with a new external.

There is a stuff called Magic Gel. never used it myself but I recall someone i knew filled a box with it and submerged it underwater and too my knowledge it still works fine.
To be honest the rubber ring on the stuffing gland is unlikely to make any difference

There is a stuff called Magic Gel. never used it myself but I recall someone i knew filled a box with it and submerged it underwater and too my knowledge it still works fine.
To be honest the rubber ring on the stuffing gland is unlikely to make any difference

I kind of agree about those rubber rings...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back