My waste oil heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built this thing to keep my work shop warm..

It burns any waste oil.. Motor oil, vegetable oil, hydraulic oil, biodiesel etc etc. There are not pots or pans to clean out, no fuel nozzles to plug, no filters to change.

It was literally built using stuff I found in other peoples garbage..I put less than $100 into it.

It burns clean. Even on a sub zero day the only thing you can see coming from the stack is a wave of heat. If the wind is blowing, you can't even see that.

It has adjustable heat output from 70,000 to about 200,000 btu's. and can be hooked up to a thermostat if I installed oil burner controls on it.

I have it running on manual ignition right now because I have no need for a thermostat in my shop.

Craigslist1.jpg

A look inside the combustion chamber with the door off.
Low fire mode.
Craigslist3.jpg

Combustion chamber door removed,
Hi fire mode..
Craigslist2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Excellent job :D Getting hold of the bits as chuck-outs is the difficult bit. Why not get someone to measure your flue gases? you might be able to improve the efficiency.

Where are you really, 'cos it's not Afghanistan.

There is also the uk problem that the government stamps on innovation.

Do you have overrun on the air fan to prevent heat exchanger damage?

Most of the stuff I had laying around already. There are many ways to substitute parts for the design. There is nothing special on it.. really.. Its all common garbage or basic hardware stuff.

Flue Gases.. I'm thinking of buying the stuff to do it myself.. Expensive..

I'm in Michigan.. Just outside Detroit.. We kill and eat our weak!

Cost to build:
Yes it was really around $100. I tell most they can do it for under $200 or less if they are even a bit resourceful.

Sponsored Links
:D
Basic robotis are easy.

Just got done with a PLC system for an automation project a few months ago..

But I love that guy.. DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!

Free Heat Rocks!

Check out
www.MurphysMachines.com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back