Myson Economist advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I currently have a myson Economist as our boiler.

I've been on a save money journey for a few years to pay of my mortgage and am now doing home improvements, the boiler we have is extremely noisy and seems quite old.

To heat up hot water, the settings doesnt work on the controller, so I have to turn on the heating. Is anyone able to tell me if it's a boiler issue or just the controls?

Im ultimately unsure if I'm best running down this boiler until the end, or just replacing it with a combi boiler. We don't use much hot water or heating but it's still frustrating regardless, especially in summer for the lack of hot water and winter for the noise.

Would replacing the controls fix the hot water issue? is the boiler low efficiency and therefore worth upgrading to a combi regardless?

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Having looked at the instructions it seems to be a standard boiler which does not condensate and use the latent heat from flue gases, it states water must be pumped and a by-pass valve must be fitted, and shows the use of motorised valves to heat the domestic hot water.

The valves can be arranged following plans, we have Y, S, C and W and to work out how to control you need to work out what plan is being followed, but since all the valves and wiring is external to boiler not looking at a boiler fault, most likely a motorised valve fault.

Condensing and Combi are two different things, condensing means efficient, combi means no hot water tank, the loss of the hot water tank can give you extra space, and allow the use of a mains pressure shower, but it also has some draw backs, the boiler can have a small tank which holds a small amount of hot water, but there is a delay between boiler firing up and you getting hot water, this may be compensated due to location of boiler, where boiler in kitchen it can work well, but it also means you can't use solar panels or back boiler or any other method of heating the domestic hot water. If boiler fails, that's it no heating or hot water.

So step one find the motorised valve/s set how many, and how many ports, then people can help work out what system you have, new valve likely costs around £50 so likely worth changing and getting old system running.

As to boiler swap, I am really not sure, my old boiler is 30 years old, new boilers are being changed after 7 years, they don't seem to be as reliable as the old ones, so really not sure, wait for other replies as they may know the boiler in question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back