Myson Economist Experts???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find out which pipe is the flow and which is the return on a Myson Economist WM25/40
the hot water cylinder, pump, tanks etc have been removed, all I'm left with is the boiler and the two 22mm pipes coming out from the ceiling into the top of the boiler, so how can I tell which is which? the one on the left of the heat exchanger has a thin copper wire going into it is this a temp censor or something if so would it be sensing the returning heat or the flow heat.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
On 60/80bf the flow is on the left return on right i would imagine that carries on through the range

petit-pablo,
just checked and the pipes go into the heat exchanger it the same level but thanks for the quick reply.

namsag,
I think the boiler must be about 15 to 20 years old I have been looking on the net to see if there was any installations manuals for it to no avail, what are the two thin copper pipes that go into the pipe just before it enters the heat exchanger they come out the back of the temp control dial, is this a clue to which is feed or return?

The reason that I'm needing to know this is that I agreed to run the pipework for the plumber that does the plumbing on our jobs who is going to fit the new combi in the loft when he comes back from his 2 week holiday, but he hasn't taken his mobile with him "Don't blame him" so I cant ask him thats why I'm pestering you lot :oops:

PS: I have been in the building trade for 25 yrs so I can solder a mean joint it's just the intelligent and technical side of things that I lack, "will stick to carpentry in future" just thought I would mention this because I know a lot of people don't like giving advice on things like this in fear of Jo public blowing themselves up.

Sponsored Links
The thin copper wires are the thermostats checked on a few other econimist models and they are all flow left /return right.

But if your having a combi it wont matter about getting the flow / returns right unless you have single direction trvs on rads or twin entry microbore rad valves.

The thin copper wires are the thermostats checked on a few other econimist models and they are all flow left /return right.

But if your having a combi it wont matter about getting the flow / returns right unless you have single direction trvs on rads or twin entry microbore rad valves.

A bit sad I know but I've done a quick diagram, after ripping a bit of floor and ceiling up and doing a bit of investigation work to get it clear in my mind :oops: can you tell from this diagram what pipe used to be the flow and return?

COMBI3.jpg

is the 15mm pipe that is tee'd off the 22mm which is just above the boiler some sort of bypass or something and is it needed for the new condensing combi.

Sorry for replying so late but any more help will be much appreciated

left is flow, right is return. Looks to me like you've bitten off more than you can chew.

Don't expect the fitter to sort out any cockups of yours FOC btw, they will be extra's.

left is flow, right is return. Looks to me like you've bitten off more than you can chew.

Don't expect the fitter to sort out any cockups of yours FOC btw, they will be extra's.

No worries in the extras department Because I built him a conservatory last year Mates rates :D
all I'm doing is flue, hanging the boiler Jig and running the new pipe work from the loft to connect up to the old 22mm manifold feeds, hence needing to know which is which so I can run them the right way round, I didn't rip the tanks etc out so I don't know what pipes that the pump was connected to I suppose that would of told me which one was the flow, he will do the gas and final connections, COME to think of it I think I've got the ruff end of the deal :oops:

No worries in the extras department Because I built him a conservatory last year Mates rates :D
all I'm doing is flue, hanging the boiler Jig and running the new pipe work from the loft to connect up to the old 22mm manifold feeds, hence needing to know which is which so I can run them the right way round, I didn't rip the tanks etc out so I don't know what pipes that the pump was connected to I suppose that would of told me which one was the flow, he will do the gas and final connections, COME to think of it I think I've got the ruff end of the deal :oops:

What your doing is illegal btw, especially fitting the flue.

No mate only illegal if I do Gas pipe-work and connect the boiler to the flue, all I've done on that side is core hole out for flue put the hanging bracket and pipework jig on wall push the flue through hole, run pipework from boiler jig excluding Gas and the rest will be up to him the boiler can be fitted by him when he does the rest.

I understand your concerns but at the end of the day even i can solder and bend a few pipes (now I know which way to connect them :oops: ) and fix a bracket to the wall, I now where you are coming from though there is to many people out there who try doing things beyond there skill and qualifications.

PS: my joints are a hell of a lot better then most of the plumbers I've seen on site over the past 25yrs, then again I'm not making a living out of it so I can take my time.

No mate only illegal if I do Gas pipe-work and connect the boiler to the flue
, all I've done on that side is core hole out for flue put the hanging bracket and pipework jig on wall push the flue through hole, run pipework from boiler jig excluding Gas and the rest will be up to him the boiler can be fitted by him when he does the rest.

The problem is that YOU dont know whats possible as a DIY and what should only be done by a gas registered engineer.

What should be done by the qualified person is-

...Fitting the hanging bracket.

...Fitting the flue

...Connecting the gas supply

...Commissioning the boiler and completing the documentation and notifying the Building Control.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back