Myson Orion boiler trips RCD randomly

Risk from what?
Risk that there coule be a potentially hazardous level of earth leakage which is sufficient to trip an RCD but not the MCB.

Not sure what your getting at here, are you saying you dont belive me, or do you just want an argument with someone bud?
I'll be honest with you Vic, I am getting mixed messages. On the one hand you say you are a qualified electrician, which I am happy to accept, but on the other you seem to be advocating moving the boiler to a non-RCD supply to 'cure' this potential problem rather than taking measures to determine if there really is a fault. I trust you can understand that these two aspects might seem at odds with each other?

Mathew

You're not happy to accept it at all Mathew which is why you said i was a "supposed electrician" you just want to argue and I dont!

This is a forum where people HELP each other not have a douby there field of expertise, I at not point knocked your abilites!!!

Sponsored Links
Ive got better things to do than argue with losers like you who want to argue all day long, ive got jobs to go to
Relax Vic. The Internet's a big scary place and you won't last long if you let challenge and debate get to you. The whole beauty of an open forum like this is that we are all open to peer review. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean we can't get along.

Mathew

Ive got better things to do than argue with losers like you who want to argue all day long, ive got jobs to go to
Relax Vic. The Internet's a big scary place and you won't last long if you let challenge and debate get to you.

Mathew

Its not getting to me but you cant say people are not who they say they are and then accuse them of being negligent I clearly am not!

If I have offended you Vic I apologise; it was not intentional.

May I suggest we get back to helping the OP with his problem?

Mathew

Sponsored Links
Relax Vic. The Internet's a big scary place and you won't last long if you let challenge and debate get to you. The whole beauty of an open forum like this is that we are all open to peer review. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean we can't get along.

Mathew

Okay fine, lets put our differences aside, (but please can you not use words like supposed and negligent, they tend to slighly upset people sometimes).

If I have offended you Vic I apologise; it was not intentional.

Many I suggest we get back to helping the OP with his problem?

Mathew

Yes i was thinking that (sorry to the OP)

No worries.

All that said, I've probably said about as much as I've got to on the subject! :LOL:

Mathew

The solution to a boiler (or anything else) tripping an RCD is not to move it to a non-RCD supply. The cause of the problem needs identifying and fixing, not the symptom.

I suggest getting a qualified electrician in to measure the earth leakage of all aspects of the CH system.

As I think Tony has already suggested, my money is on an insulation failure of the motor windings of either the pump of valves. This may only manifest itself when hot (through expansion) hence the sporadic failures.

Mathew

Matthew,

This makes more sense to me now as i have just had the trip happen again only after both heating and hot water running, now it has obviously always tripped when boiler running but i have just managed to get it to trip with thermostat switched completely off. All aspects of the boiler were nice and hot still but as thermostat switched off the trip happened with the boiler trying to fire, which would point to the latter statement in quoted text.

I think i call to an electrician be the logical next step.... watch this space i shall post when i have news....

I would like to say thank you for all who have posted, the argument was a surprise but entertaining! :LOL: All contributions were appreciated though, as you can probably tell, i have not a clue! So any opinion is useful..

Many thanks

I do have to say that my advice, already given in amongst all the previous mists, is to call a GOOD boiler engineer rather than an electrician.

Thats because my experience of electricians is that they dont even know what a Schottky diode is let alone have any experience of boilers!

But its your call as they say!

Tony Glazier

I do have to say that my advice, already given in amongst all the previous mists, is to call a GOOD boiler engineer rather than an electrician.

Thats because my experience of electricians is that they dont even know what a Schottky diode is let alone have any experience of boilers!

But its your call as they say!

Tony Glazier

It's probably best not to slag other trades off as this only makes yourself look rather bad.

Perhaps the best approach would be to respect each trade for its own merit, had the sparks not wired up a ring main, there would be no fused spur for you to tap into, if the brickies had not done such a good job on the brickwork, the house wouldnt have passed building control for people to live in.

If Tony you have met some sparks who dont know much about boilers, so be it, ive been wiring up boilers for seven years and I am still learning, but please do not tar all sparks with the same brush, the paint "may" wear very, very thin.

Just a thought.

Boilers are controlled by electronics and computer techniques now.

Tony

Boilers are controlled by electronics and computer techniques now.

Tony

Not sure what a "computer technique" is but it is true that nearly all boilers now are CPU based, most of us wiil agree though (and those who have modern cars too) the more that's in them the more that's likely to break down. Do you agree?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back