Mysterious built-in "wardrobe" in my bed room. Is these asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a house and found there is a wardrobe-like thing which is very dirty inside. I think it might be for the old boiler.

I can see from the ceiling inside the "wardrobe" that there are some pop-corn materials and other are 2 nasty damaged holds to the loft.
I fear that this material contains asbestos
Any thought on the photos?
I will have to hire a company to do the asbestos test.

The "wardrobe" looks strange. I wonder if anyone has idea what it was for? I really want to remove it. but probably plastering in this small area will be needed (ceiling and the wall)?
The previous seller said she want to remove it but she didn't. I believe it is not an easy project?

If I am lucky these are not asbestos, How much do you think if I need to hire a builder to remove the "wardrobe" and re-decorating it?

Cheers in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_9607.JPG
    IMG_9607.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_9608.JPG
    IMG_9608.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9611.JPG
    IMG_9611.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_9612.JPG
    IMG_9612.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
It looks like an airing cupboard. It would have had a hot water cylinder at the bottom and the heat that escaped through the insulation on the cylinder would keep clothes and towels etc on the shelfs warm and aired.

Thank you so much! it is definitely an airing cupboard and there was a hot water cylinder in it. All the pipes and the cylinder were removed. There are 2 holes on the ceiling in side the cupboard. I am thinking of completely removing it and redecorating the wall and the ceiling. Wondering what range of budget I am looking at?

Sponsored Links
Looks like a simple-ish job; crow-bar/screwdriver to break up the timber framework. Then strip the wallpaper. Finally patch/replace (or just sand and paint) the skirting if needed, then skim and paint the plaster.

As to cost, reckon on maybe half to a day of 'plasterer time', cost depends whereabouts you're based, probably have to ring round and ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back