Mystery capped pipe understairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to clear understairs for rolling storage and came across this capped off metal pipe. Any idea what it could be? And can it just be cut down to the floor? (black pipe in the centre of the pic)

Attachments

• 20211123_165452.jpg
    20211123_165452.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
looks very much like a gas pipe.

Most unwise to cut it unless you have already verified in some way that it has already been cut off from the supply and will never be reconnected.

Sponsored Links
Its an old gas service 99.9% it will be dead but you can request a live or dead check from cadent or whoever is in your area they will come out and check it if its still live they will cap in street

Its an old gas service 99.9% it will be dead but you can request a live or dead check from cadent or whoever is in your area they will come out and check it if its still live they will cap in street

You would think so, 112.

I went, with RB, to a property to meet Cadent for them to do a dead test, same as OP scenario.

The Cadent guy, I think he is the one that lives at 5 BR, said he wasn't able to test it, as there is no valve. Doing so would release gas into the environment (empty house) ,and partially screwing it open would break the seal. All very true. I said about repasting the newly exposed thread, and he acknowledged that that is what most privateers would do.

RB asked if I could "just do it". I said that I could, and risks were minimal, but he would need to issue an actual job with the specific work required. He would (as I know that you would expect) not do that (!).

As a footnote, the pipe was about 6 - 9" off the floor, about 2 or 3 feet from the corner, so suggested that it be boxed in as a platform. Eventually, the pipe was boxed in, but literally, so instead of a a black iron pipe in the way, they know have a weird looking plywood square tube sticking put of the floor. But, as they say, not my problem.

You would think so, 112.

I went, with RB, to a property to meet Cadent for them to do a dead test, same as OP scenario.

The Cadent guy, I think he is the one that lives at 5 BR, said he wasn't able to test it, as there is no valve. Doing so would release gas into the environment (empty house) ,and partially screwing it open would break the seal. All very true. I said about repasting the newly exposed thread, and he acknowledged that that is what most privateers would do.

RB asked if I could "just do it". I said that I could, and risks were minimal, but he would need to issue an actual job with the specific work required. He would (as I know that you would expect) not do that (!).

As a footnote, the pipe was about 6 - 9" off the floor, about 2 or 3 feet from the corner, so suggested that it be boxed in as a platform. Eventually, the pipe was boxed in, but literally, so instead of a a black iron pipe in the way, they know have a weird looking plywood square tube sticking put of the floor. But, as they say, not my problem.
know who you mean yeah no ecv he should have got a team out to check it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back