Mystery flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This 19th century flue in a garden in south London - what is it?

Attachments

• IMG_4018.JPG
    IMG_4018.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 198
Sponsored Links
That's what I thought - but it doesn't seem high enough - and I can't think that there's a sewer anywhere near the back of the property

Yea, if it was a vent pipe, it would probably be fixed to the house wall, and would be higher.

There's a flange on top, suggesting something was (or could be) bolted to the top - maybe remains of an old canopy?

Sponsored Links
it's crooked so it could be a gas fitters pipe - or just an old pipe standing in someone's garden;)

Its also possible that somebody liked the look of it and thought I could hang my washing line of that ! But my instincts are leading me towards British rail.

Nah, its a column, its too low for a flue, its too prettyfied for a water pipe, is was to support the adjacent balcony, before some one chickened out and replaced the lot with RSJs. :)
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back