Is this asbestos sheet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, whilst working on our mid 19th century home, I've found a fair bit of this

It's not been disturbed yet, but am a bit concerned it may be an asbestos product.

I can't quite make out the logo...thought someone here may recognise it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That board is later then mid nineteenth century (~1850), did you mean mid twentieth century? (~1950). Looks like asbestos board. the asbestos is bonded to cement so its pretty safe. Paint it all with dilute PVA and ignore.
Frank

That board is later then mid nineteenth century (~1850), did you mean mid twentieth century? (~1950). Looks like asbestos board. the asbestos is bonded to cement so its pretty safe. Paint it all with dilute PVA and ignore.
Frank

Nope, house is def 1850s. Had some renovations back in the 50s/60s though where they put a load of this behind plasterboard for some reason.

Unfortunately it's got to come out as we're removing plasterboard to expose the stonework etc.

Even though this stuff is pretty safe, I guess reasonable precautions should be taken to remove it?

Sponsored Links
it's only 'pretty safe' if you're not touching it.

Yep seems that way. I've just been reading up on how to dispose of this.

Suit up, keep the sheet damp, don't break it up, double wrap and take to local centre...amongst other things.

local dumps may only take very limited amounts and down my way they insist on it being securely wrapped.

It's Poilite. (Bell's Poilite and Everite co.) You can remove it yourself with the usual precautions but it must be disposed of as special waste. Your local tip should take some but, as mouk said, they normally only take fairly small quantities.

If you have the time, numerous small visits to the tip, and just take care and you should have no issues.

It does look like Poilite or similar, if so should be very hard and brittle, if you find that is is actually quite soft be aware it might be AIB much nastier stuff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back