Mystery pipe-any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks,

Long time lurker but only just joined-wondered if anyone could give me some pointers on what this pipe might be related to?

I’ve just been digging foundations for the extension and come across a galvanised pipe partially laid inside inside a clay pipe. The clay pipe seems to stop where that break is. Haven’t measured it but it’s about 30-40cm down.

It’s coming from the rear of the (1930s) house, heading down a longish garden away from any roads. I know the gas, water and electric come in from main road at the front of the house.

Thought maybe a pipe to a soakaway but would that be run in relatively small diameter galvanised?

I’ll nab a CAT scan from work tomorrow and see if I can trace it but wondered if anyone had any clue what it might be?

Sponsored Links
Maybe an original gas pipe but difficult to tell without knowing where it's going to and coming from.

There may be a history to the development of your estate/nearby houses which would give a clue.

Blup

Water - Galvanised steel was very common in the 1950's; either on new build or when properties were connected to the main water pipe in the road. Used as it could be 'pushed' from the street to the entry point in the house without digging up the properties gardens/paths or drives.

Water - Galvanised steel was very common in the 1950's; either on new build or when properties were connected to the main water pipe in the road. Used as it could be 'pushed' from the street to the entry point in the house without digging up the properties gardens/paths or drives.

How did it come to be inside the clay pipe though, if it was pushed through?

Sponsored Links
Finally got chance to having an explore on this and thought it would be good to update.

I dug along the more accessible route (towards the house) and found the end connected to nothing but with a loose smaller diameter galvanised pipe inside it. So now I had an inch or so diameter steel pipe, inside a 3 inch ish steel pipe inside a clay pipe. None of which are connected to anything at the house end.

Mystery solved enough to chop it out of the foundation trench with no repercussions but not enough to actually know what it was originally laid for (and Im not curious enough to keep digging when I dont need to)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back