Mystery pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I am digging a hole in my driveway as part of a project to add a new gully. I have discovered a mystery pipe and was wondering if anyone here had any idea what it is.
It looks like steel and is 18mm in diameter and 150mm deep from the drive surface. At first I thougth it may be the water but it's way too shallow to be the water. I have opened up the meter, is it possible to tell how deep the water pipe would be from inside the meter?
There was no warning tape of any kind.
I doubt it is electric as the meter is at the front of the house and this hole is near the rear.

Sponsored Links
Water or gas.

If it's inline with the meter it's a good bet water, run the taps and put a listening stick on the pipe.

Listening should identify water.

But on a warmer day the pipe would be cooled below the ambient if running water so measuring temperature might help to identify if its water?

But at that depth it would usually be gas but its too thin to expect its gas.

Interesting!

Sponsored Links
JUST A THOUGHT!

In the 1970's it was common for oil companies like SHELL Mex & BP to install a central pumped oil main around private housing estates each house had a BM oil meter (usually recessed into the wall) are you aware that your property once had a centralised oil supply, these were mostly de-commissioned in the 1980's but obviously the underground pipe work was left in place. - as I said just a thought! ;)

It was buried under a concrete driveway which I belive is c1934 with no evidence of having been dug up.

Be very careful it could even have an electricity supply inside it have seen them like that before.
It was just before one of our road diggers started cutting with a hacksaw an said yep thats steel must be the gas service , as he was blown out of a 3 foot deep hole with his overalls on fire

Water pipe.
Just the same in my drive. I dug it up and replaced with plastic.
My house is circa 1925.
May be a dead pipe and no longer used.

Just stick a long screwdriver on it with the other end in you ear, you'll hear the water running if you open a tap.

Where is the pipe in relation to the services in the house and that water meter.

Where is the gas meter.

Is that your water meter to the left of the hole you've dug? If it is my money's on it being the water pipe, as the other guys have said try turning on a tap and listen for water rushing through it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back