Mystery Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just noticed a strange pipe that seems to feed a hoper on the front of the flat ... and I have no idea where this pipe comes from ??

Behind that pipe is a bedroom with a bed in the gable and a radiator under the window. But no water services anywhere near that outflow pipe.

The hopper also receives water from the valley above which flows straight down into the hopper.

What could that other pipe be ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well ..there looks like grass growing out of it, which isn't a good sign.

Well ..there looks like grass growing out of it, which isn't a good sign.
That's why I was photographing it actually.

Had it cleared 3 months ago, not sure how that vegetation got in there. Possible the f*ing seagull nest fell into the valley from the chimney stack after the chicks f'ed off.

I don't have any means of accessing that location so it £40 a go for the gutter man.

I would imagine that the valley was cleared 3 months ago but not the hopper.

The pipework below the hopper, and the pipe feeding in from the bay and the RH valley, is showing signs of rust perhaps its semi blocked, and weeping at the joints.
To the right end of the bay gutter there appears to be more vegetation growing in the gutter.

The LH valley is discharging into a chute outlet - presumably, lead dressed into a pipe. This vulnerable outlet and pipe should be investigated for blockage debris and leakage.

Your ladder person should take some pics of the bay roof tiles - they are deteriorating esp. at the hips.

The hopper, redundant sink waste and all pipework to below the tee could be removed and new plastic RW pipe and tee installed, and adapted to the outlet above.

Hopper was cleared 3 months ago.

But it's also been ending of the nesting season so possibly vegetation could have fallen down the valley.

rideforever,

You seem to have a willful obstinacy to ignore realities and an, given the recent repair history, understandable, almost "Babes in the Wood" optimism about your property defects, and suggestions for its repair.

Out of the items i listed above you choose to ignore the important points, and instead, to refer to ornithology, and a claim that someone else cleared a hopper. If you didn't go up and eyeball inspect the hopper yourself, then you dont know for sure what happened.

Given your unfortunate track record of people claiming successful repairs to your property -which were anything but successful - one tends to wonder.

I sincerely wish you well but, believe me, taking a horse to water comes to mind.

You don't have to tell me it's a nightmare I live here. We have had 3 separate leaks in the roof, each one hard to pinpoint, plus this hopper issue.

No roofer who has been here has done anything but make guesses without investigation and demand ridiculous prices.

So I have done what I can myself to narrow things down.

If I had jumped in every bit of advice you gave I would be poor and the leaks would still be ongoing.

Plus I have an extremely unhelpful scrooge of a freeholder tying my hands and neighbours on either side with party wall problems.

I am considering selling this place now.

If you want to fly over and fix everything be my guest, just send me a quote.

As for the hopper, well I saw the guy put his hand and a length of plastic tubing in their to clear it.

That's why I said it was cleared.

But sure maybe it's not.

I am an engineer myself so I have no difficulty understand the systems of a roof. But when I seem to know more than the idiot roofers who turn up en masse, what else am I supposed to do.

Right now I have a continuing problem on the back dormer, the freeholder wants to spend £50 mastic'ing it because his mate said so, the lead man says it isn't leaking from there but even if it was you have to replace al the flashings costs £800. And various other builders have quoted £1500 for replacing the parapet which they think it, another roofer wants £1200 to replace the flashings between the parapet and the dormer.

Right, you get the picture.

Now I have to deal with this clutch of irresponsible idiots and get actually the f*ing job done.

Step in anytime.

Oh yeah and the freehold is being sold so in 3 weeks a neurotic and seemingly anxious woman is going to walk in this mess and the freeholder has asked me not to speak to her under any circumstances. Which I said I could not do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back