Mystery Plumbing Under Drive! Can anyone tell me what this is??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst cleaning my block paving I lifted a block to repair it where it had sank.

Underneath I found this bit of 160mm waste pipe. It appears to have a small screw top access port inside it. It can be seen on the attached photos. It had no cap or cover.

I am almost certain that it is not the sewage waste as that runs down the side of the house and as the house was only built in 1991 and has always had sewage connection I am certain it isn't any form of septic tank.

Anyone have any idea what it is?

Also what should I do with it?

I was considering putting a 160mm socket plug on top and laying the blocks again?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
access to water stopcock?

Might be about 600mm down

Thanks for the replies.

It isn’t water stop valve access - that’s away along the drive next to the water meter. This is also much larger.

I was thinking it could be a soak away...

Should I bury it or put a grid it? Will water drain down and around that access plug?

Sponsored Links
Will water drain down and around that access plug?
sort of - it's a bottle gulley with the access plug for cleaning the run. I guess the drive layers filled it with sand and that gradually washed down the drain

Thanks for that - so should I clean it out and put a grid / drain over it?
Or plug it off and cover it again as - so far as I can tell - there is no issue with rainwater drainage?

Thanks Andy

So I can just seal it with a removable lid to keep it clean. Mark where it is and put the paving back over?

OK So I cleaned it all out. Put a cap on and paved over it. Sorted (I hope)... Now if only I could remember where it was...

Thanks for all your help!

PS I did put the screw cap back before covering it all!

IMG_4218.JPG
IMG_4220.JPG
IMG_4221.JPG
IMG_4222.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back