Mystery White Pipe...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed I have 2 white pvc pipes sticking out of the exterior wall. Both defo has something to do with CH. The highest one is Loft level and its the overflow for the F+E tank. The second pipe is ceiling height on the ground floor and it sorts of points into the gutter work in the porch.

When the CH is about to start, outside I can hear tick tick tick outside and its the lower pipe that drips, it doesnt drip for long but I notice that it does it before and after the burner fires up. It does drip drip drip and the REALLY long dribble and stops.

Its really annoying me and I know I'm not overpumping as water would come out the top pipe.

I've had this house for 3 years now, and Its always done this.

Old Baxi Solo boiler, Ariston Classico hot tank and 5 rads, microbore 8mm piping, currently with X400 in the system.

Any suggestions???

Sponsored Links
Why would the Caledonian Windsurfing Club be in your loft? ;)

CWSC = Cold Water Storage Cistern.

One pipe will be the overflow from the cold water supply tank for the central heating system. The level in the tank will rise and fall as the system heats and cools, but it shouldn't be expelling water. If the tank's too full when the system heats up and expands it will overflow, so suspect that the ballcock is dripping insead of shutting off completely.

The other will be from the tank feeding the hot water cylinder. If it's the overflow from this tank that is dripping, it will stop temporarily when you run off some hot water.

The higher tank will usually be for the hot water supply and the lower for the central heating.

Sponsored Links
Go in to the loft see if the ballcock is not shutting off completely, and if so replace or re-washer it, should take you no longer than 20 minutes to fix.

If it is the central heating tank you need to fix it ASAP as you will be continually be introducing fresh water into your heating system which will cause corrosion and build up of sludge.

Also if you leave it and the overflow pipe freezes, the tank will overflow into your loft.

Go in the loft see if the ballcock is dripping and if so replace or re-washer it, should take you no longer than 20 minutes to fix.

If it is the central heating tank you need to fix it ASAP as you will be continually be introducing fresh water into your heating system which will cause corrosion and build up of sludge.

Also if you leave it and the overflow freezes, the tank will oveflow into your loft.

Ballcock is not dripping nor the tank overflow as I literally sat in the loft staring at the tank for 30 mins whilst CH was on.

Its definately not coming from that white pipe (loft height), The only white PVC pipe I can see from the tank is from the cold water feed and that pipe disappears into the floorboards.

The pipe itself is turning green and scaly. i think its warm water and has something to do with the tank as when I flick the controller to HW only, the dripping stops..

Unless the plumber that fitted the Ariston bodged the pipework up of course :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back