N.T.C sensors

Sponsored Links
yes NTC is just a type of thermistor (one increases in resistance as temperature rises and one decreases as temp falls) :D

negative temperature coefficient and positive temperature coefficient.

Sponsored Links
how can a negative temperature coefficient tell the board what the water temp is? a thermistor does it by restance i understand that, so what are the mechanics behind the N.T.C sensor?

You really don't want to get into wheatstone bridges and other electronic surplus information. If I were you I would stick to things that are likely to be relevant to your day to day work.

You are getting confused. An NTC is a type of thermistor.

The "NTC" bit is just refering to what happens to the thermistor when heat is applied to it ( the resistance reduces)

its just a fault on a vaillant turbo max i`m fixing, hot water temp up and down from time to time, i just always wondered why when i order a set of thermistors it sometimes says on the bag N.T.C sensors, i just asked out of interests thats all. Any one got any advice on repairing turbo max`s??? any common faults?

If you want to learn to be competent at repairing boilers then you have to spend some time to understand how boilers work.

The sensors are a good place to start as they are critical to the control functions of a boiler.

As to common faults on a boiler thats not the way I would advise you. Thats what BG have done to leave out much training on boiler basics and give their people a computer which lists common faults on each model.

If a fault is not listed then they are stuck! Much better to learn how all boilers work and then you can mend any boiler you ever see.

Tony

Agile said:
As to common faults on a boiler thats not the way I would advise you. Thats what BG have done to leave out much training on boiler basics and give their people a computer which lists common faults on each model.

If a fault is not listed then they are stuck! Much better to learn how all boilers work and then you can mend any boiler you ever see.

Tony

Sorry Tony absolutely no truth to that statement at all.

Would you like to explain exactly why you have that view?

If that is not the case why do so many BG people have so much trouble with the Heatline, Protherm, Icon, Savio and lesser known boilers?

Why did one ex BG installer refuse to follow the boiler manual even after I had quoted the page telling him how to range rate the boiler? He would not return to fix the boiler which he had installed. It cost his customer £84 for me to attend and adjust the boiler to solve the problem!

In spite of what some on here may think, I bend over backwards to explain politely what they need to do. Their often abusive replies are usually limited to telling me that they were with BG for 25 years and I dont know anything about boilers. When I have to attend to sort out their failures their customers learn otherwise!

Tony

Because they may be lazy, inexperienced on that particular model, or may even not welcome your unrequested advice Tony. You may well have extensive experience in certain boilers such as biasi but have also frequently given generic advice on boilers you are clearly not well versed with such as powermax. That is the nature of our game.
You cannot expect to be taken seriously when you spout that 'i can fix anything' rubbish, it is untrue. Anyone can trace and repair a fault when stood in front of it with a fault present. I always find it a bit distasteful to badmouth the previous engineer as you never know who may be following you round doing the same.
The bg computer contains scans of the original m.i 's in the main.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back