Nail in tyre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have just found a nail embedded in the side of the rear tyre. Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired or will I have to change the tyre?

Regards

Peter

Sponsored Links
Thanks Stuart,

I thought it may be a replacement. Tyres have only done 1000 miles, so wear is minimal. Could I just get the one tyre replaced, or is it best to do the pair?

Peter

You should be OK with only 1000 miles between the two. Best to get the same brand if you can, bit if in doubt pop them on the back and put the matching pair on the front.

Put the spare on ASAP, that will let you down, or could even be considered dangerous

Sponsored Links
Thanks Mursal,

No spare i'm affraid, just an emergency repair kit! This is the rear driver's side tyre. Tyre is a Hankook 195/50 R15, not sure which model. My nearest tyre place is kwik fit (2 minutes) or Hi-Q (20 minutes). It seems clear that this maybe potentialy dangerous, so I shall go to Kwik-fit tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Peter

I am sure new tyres are magnetic. Every time I bite the bullet and buy a new one this happens.

, bit if in doubt pop them on the back and put the matching pair on the front. s
Na put the worst on the front as you drive to the front
Eg rubbish on front enter corner bit of understeer all good now if the good was on the front the rear is more likey to let go. Been there done it lol
If I replace a pair I swap the part worns to the front and the new ones to the rear. Also stops the rears being on the car for ever and a day

It is correct that the standard in-garage plug style repair is not suitable to that type of puncture.

The style of repair where the tyre is taken away, often called a "major repair", is not illegal, however, and is undertaken commonly on truck & bus tyres.

I recently had a new Michelin energy with a puncture in exactly the same place. Took a bit of phoning round but eventually found a car/commercial place who would send it away. Cost was around £30.

Sponsored Links
Back