Nailed through a wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am sooo gutted, I have just finished my extension, first picture that I put on the wall and.............................

I nailed through a 2.5mm wire halfway down the wall. Its covered with the metal lengths of cable protector.

The main rcd tripped, making me aware of the problem.

Its all working fine again, but i have isolated that area until i have fixed.

Whats the best way to rectify. I really dont want to have to expose the whole length of wire, rip off my coving, pull half the ceiling down if I can avoid it

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you could chop the wall away around the affected area, cut out the damaged part of the cable and replace it with a new bit of cable using "through crimps" to join it together..

chase around it and crimp if it. if your lucky, some will pull down so you can cut out the damaged area and join, otherwise youll have to get another bit of 2.5 and join it twice. just make sure that you adequatly protect it with self amalgamating tape or something similar. and is the cable in the proper area? (directly above socket or other accessory?)

BRENMONA said:
I nailed through a 2.5mm wire halfway down the wall.
Why was it not obvious that there was a cable there?

Its covered with the metal lengths of cable protector.
That will be capping - it is to protection against nails what chocolate is to fireguards....

I hope that means that the circuit is off?

Whats the best way to rectify. I really dont want to have to expose the whole length of wire, rip off my coving, pull half the ceiling down if I can avoid it
And I want to drive a Ferrari with... maybe not that analogy again...

You are at the very least going to have to dig out a lot of the wall, because you need to get at that cable, and that will mean removing a section of the capping, and you need space to work so that you don't leave ragged sharp ends that damage the cable some more...

The only repair you can do which can be buried will need proper ratchet crimpers, heat-shrink sleeving and self-amalgamating tape.

If you don't know what to do with those, you should consider getting an electrician.

Once repaired it is very important that the cable be tested for insulation resistance and continuity/R1+R2 - if you don't have the equipment to do that then you should consider getting an electrician.

Sponsored Links
BRENMONA wrote:
I nailed through a 2.5mm wire halfway down the wall.

Why was it not obvious that there was a cable there?

]It was obvious< i just didnt check for the obvious:(Quote:
Its covered with the metal lengths of cable protector.

That will be capping - it is to protection against nails what chocolate is to fireguards....

Quote:

I hope that means that the circuit is off?

Yes, The circuit is off

Quote:

And I want to drive a Ferrari with... maybe not that analogy again... :)

You are at the very least going to have to dig out a lot of the wall, because you need to get at that cable, and that will mean removing a section of the capping, and you need space to work so that you don't leave ragged sharp ends that damage the cable some more...

I have now done the above, the nail has gone through the neutral insulation. I have left exposed, power off to that circuit, and will contact an electricain in the morning

Thanks for your help. The crimping I could have dealt with, but the R1+R2 bit left me thinking it'd be safer to call in someone :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back