Spark from a nail!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My first post and looking for a liitle advice. Yesterday I was hanging a heavy picture on the wall, about 8' up, not realising that there was a socket at ground level in a direct line.

When I started drilling I could not get far into the wall- only about 3/4 of an inch or so. At the time I assumed I was hitting a metal stud. In the end I gave up on the drill and decided a couple of nails would be okay. When I hammered in the nail I got a spark out the wall. The electrics were unaffected, nothing flickered, and none of the switches tripped.

In the end I moved over 6 to 8 inches and found an easily drillable bit of wall. Since nothing tripped can I be safe in assuming no harm done with the nail? I guess to begin with my drill was hitting the protective metal cover over the wire but the nail went right through and made contact?

I feel pretty stupid for not checking the plug socket line before. I'll never make that mistake again!

Regards,

James

Sponsored Links
can I be safe in assuming no harm done

No, of course not. You, or a competent electrician, will have to make a proper and permanent repair to the cable that you damaged.

When I hammered in the nail I got a spark out the wall. The electrics were unaffected, nothing flickered, and none of the switches tripped.
Do I take it you're sure that the spark was 'out of the wall', and not just from the hammer hitting the nail head?
Since nothing tripped can I be safe in assuming no harm done with the nail? I guess to begin with my drill was hitting the protective metal cover over the wire but the nail went right through and made contact?
Unfortunately, no - I don't think you would be at all safe in assuming that. If the nail really did result in an electrical spark, then it must have penetrated the cable all the way through sheath and insulation to the metal conductors. You need to get the circuit/cable tested by an electrician but, with the story you tell, even if the tests reveal no abnormalitis, I think it will still be necessary to expose the cable in order to inspect the damage (and then effect a repair).

Kind Regards, John

can I be safe in assuming no harm done

No, of course not. You, or a competent electrician, will have to make a proper and permanent repair to the cable that you damaged.

Thanks John, I will call in some help as I am neither an electrician, nor competent, let alone both :)

Thanks for your help!

James

Sponsored Links
When I hammered in the nail I got a spark out the wall. The electrics were unaffected, nothing flickered, and none of the switches tripped.
Do I take it you're sure that the spark was 'out of the wall', and not just from the hammer hitting the nail head?
Since nothing tripped can I be safe in assuming no harm done with the nail? I guess to begin with my drill was hitting the protective metal cover over the wire but the nail went right through and made contact?
Unfortunately, no - I don't think you would be at all safe in assuming that. If the nail really did result in an electrical spark, then it must have penetrated the cable all the way through sheath and insulation to the metal conductors. You need to get the circuit/cable tested by an electrician but, with the story you tell, even if the tests reveal no abnormalitis, I think it will still be necessary to expose the cable in order to inspect the damage (and then effect a repair).

Kind Regards, John

Hmm yes at the time I wondered if I had just created a spark by hitting metal or something benign in this old wall but I'm pretty sure it came out of the hole and I went and bought a stud sensor today and the AC Light seems to be showing there's a wire in there.

I will call an electrician. Thanks for your help :)

James

Hmm yes at the time I wondered if I had just created a spark by hitting metal or something benign in this old wall but I'm pretty sure it came out of the hole and I went and bought a stud sensor today and the AC Light seems to be showing there's a wire in there. I will call an electrician. Thanks for your help :)
You're welcome - and, yes, I think you have no choice but to call an electrician, preferably sooner rather than later.

As a matter of interest ... you said that 'nothing tripped'. Do you know whether the circuit in question (presumably a sockets circuit, judging by what you said) is protected by an RCD?

Kind Regards, John

Hmm yes at the time I wondered if I had just created a spark by hitting metal or something benign in this old wall but I'm pretty sure it came out of the hole and I went and bought a stud sensor today and the AC Light seems to be showing there's a wire in there. I will call an electrician. Thanks for your help :)
You're welcome - and, yes, I think you have no choice but to call an electrician, preferably sooner rather than later.

As a matter of interest ... you said that 'nothing tripped'. Do you know whether the circuit in question (presumably a sockets circuit, judging by what you said) is protected by an RCD?

Kind Regards, John

Hi John ,

Just last week I had all the electrics checked and a new consumer unit fitted with RCD protection. There is a row of spotlights in the ceiling in line with the socket so i wondered if the wire goes up the wall from the sockets to the ceiling lights.

Should I cut the power to lights and sockets until I can get an electrician out?

Expect the wall to require a hole in it and some repair in order to fix the cable.

Expect the wall to require a hole in it and some repair in order to fix the cable.

Cheers mattylad - I don't mind that as long as I know it's safe. I have switched off the power to sockets and lights in that room and electrician coming tomorrow.

Really appreciate everyone's advice. What's worrying is the number of (non trade) people I asked who said don't worry about and leave it. Glad I checked here.

Regards

James

Can you not gently chip out the wall and see what's what?

You may come to a stone before a cable.

I presume it is a masonry wall.

Thanks ELF - ahh good point hats a possibility. As I mentioned, the sensor is showing a cable in the exact place where I drove in the nail, but It's possible there is a stone. I guess all will be revealed but I think I'll just leave it to the electrician for now.

All the best,

James

ELF thanks for this suggestion! Just thought I would post the resolution to this thread.

The electrician wasn't able to come out until later so, like you, suggested in the meantime I chip away at the wall and see what damage I had done.

There was nothing in there but a solid piece of stone! There were also lots of small black crumbly pieces in there- Flint, I think. The nail had sparked when I hit the stone. I tried banging a nail to recreate my experience and got a good spark first time.

Glad I checked. Just got a nice hole to fill. But I'll sleep better now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back