Nailing every tile ?? What is current roofing practice ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are stripping old (1980's) concrete pantiles, putting in new roof trusses and re-tiling with same pantiles.

I was reading something on DIYdoctor about installing velux that surprised me ... the blogger said that all slates are usually nailed but that tiles are generally laid on each other.

This site is windy. i don't think just laying tiles will do.

It will be interesting to see how the tiles have been originally fixed on when they come off.

What should I be specifying that the tiler does regarding nailing or mechanically fixing on tiles ?

I found this article which says that BS standards say every tile should be fixed.

https://wienerberger.co.uk/about-us/using-clay-pantiles-under-the-new-british-standard-bs5534

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The new standard is every tile. Previously it was every third row plus all verge/eaves/ridge/etc. As you say, it depends where your are and how windy it is. My current house isn't nailed at all apart from verge tiles.

I'm not sure what labc enforce with regard to the new standard though.

Sponsored Links
tin hats are great untill you have get these under them great this time of year

Attachments

• DSC_0377.JPG
    DSC_0377.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 335

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back