Nailing roof tiles every?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have learned that roofers only nail down one roof tile in three, or every three courses. I may have also heard every 5 courses, but maybe mistaken.

I have read that for low pitch (<= 22°) we much *clip* and *screw* down every single tile, plus tape plus counter battens!

My main roof's pitch is 22° - 22.5°. My roofer is happy to do whatever I ask, nail down every single tile, or not. Obviously, he is not keen to nail down everything as repairs will be problematic.

What would be sensible to do for 22°?

Sponsored Links
My extension roof is 22⁰ and not one single tile is nailed.
Been there 25 years and nothing has moved.

Depends on tile type, exposure, pitch...minimum all perimeter tiles clipped/nailed and every 3rd course.

My old Ma’s roof is about 45 degrees and is furnished with old Staffy blues and not a single nail in sight. No losses yet. I reroofed it for her the same time the twin towers were hit.

We tend to nail every concrete tile these days. Plains - every fifth course or some such. Roofers are telling me now that on site they have to twice nail every plain tile.:eek:

Sponsored Links
Tile type and exposure ?
Interlocking, flat, plain concrete tiles, 420mmx332mm. Crest Planum. https://crest-bst.co.uk/products/view/the-planum-flat-tile

We tend to nail every concrete tile these days
Roofers are telling me now that on site they have to twice nail every plain tile.

Even on steep roofs? If you nail every tile it is then very hard to repair, you'd have to cut the lugs off, insert new tile, and then drill a new hole with a screw showing! At least this is what the tech guy at Redland told us.

I have learned that roofers only nail down one roof tile in three

"Roofers"? :cautious:

If there's a nail hole in a tile you put at least one nail per tile, sometimes two, sometimes a nail and a clip.

If not nails, a clip as specified by the manufacturer.

Extract from Crest roof tiles fixing spec

All tiles must be fixed. As a minimum, this means that all tiles must be nailed. In addition, a fixing calculation should be run to determine if any extra fixings, such as clips, are required. This will depend on the shape, size, exposure and location of the building. For further information on roof tile fixing specifications contact your area sales manager.

Extract from Crest roof tiles fixing spec

All tiles must be fixed. As a minimum, this means that all tiles must be nailed. In addition, a fixing calculation should be run to determine if any extra fixings, such as clips, are required. This will depend on the shape, size, exposure and location of the building. For further information on roof tile fixing specifications contact your area sales manager.
Then one tile breaks and you're charged £2000 to replace it...
"We don't work off ladders..."
Sounds familiar?

Then one tile breaks and you're charged £2000 to replace it...
"We don't work off ladders..."
Sounds familiar?
But if it was nailed it wouldn't have broke?? Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chance?? There's always someone who will work off a ladder?? Lifes a gamble:)

But if it was nailed it wouldn't have broke?? Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chance?? There's always someone who will work off a ladder?? Lifes a gamble:)
More chances of a tile being cracked by the nailer and completely breaking after a while than one just placed there and held by gravity.

I just found a 12 year old thread discussing the same issue for the Mini Stonewolds (very, very similar to mine).

My roofer said that some tiles will inevitably crack/break as they walk on them during installation. Inquiring about the Richmond 10, Redland support said that to replace a tile you must break it, cut the lugs off the new one, insert it in place and drill it and screw it down, with the screw showing.

My decision will most likely be:

For my 18° pitch I will nail down each tile and tape under batten fixings.

For the 22° pitch I will nail down each other, or each third tile.

For the 44° pitch I will nail down each third tile.

Nail down and clip all perimeter tiles.

With the wind intensity increasing these days I'd have thought that it was better to fix them all down individually, rather than have the wind catch and blow them all off.

Oh FFS.

This is deja-vu with the 'door to flat roof thread' and others.

OP "What are the regulations/requirements for doing 'x'?"

The world "You should do 'y' "

OP "Ok, I'll do 'z' "

o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back