Nails or screws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a little table out of what i believe to be chipboard. I've cut three bits out as you can see in the photos and I've used Gorrilla wood-glue to attach the parts weighted down by 5kg barbel weight.

When the glue dries should i band nails in or screws?

Thanks

20210404_194626[1].jpg

Sponsored Links
not an inherently strong material for right angle joints
what load is on the table and is it against a wall ??

Sponsored Links
not an inherently strong material for right angle joints
what load is on the table and is it against a wall ??

Just a not-too-heavy gas meter, it's going to hold it in place as the bracket has come off the wall. .

a 50mm square batten glued and screwed along the full length of the inside corner/join

a 50mm square batten glued and screwed along the full length of the inside corner/join

You mean square blocks i.e. cuboids in each corner? You don't mean right across one end to the other?

battens the full depth - and if whatever you are going to stand on it has any weight (over a couple of stone) then you should put a back on it to give it lateral integrity.

battens the full depth - and if whatever you are going to stand on it has any weight (over a couple of stone) then you should put a back on it to give it lateral integrity.

You mean depth as in from the floor upwards? Initially you said square block across full length then your diagram looked like a cuboid in the corner , sorry just a bit confused there.

I think if the floor is included in diagrams it makes it more understandable i.e. you see the height of table then work out the width and then length.

The height is 14 cm, the width is 24cm and the length is 30 cm.

Thanks.

You mean depth as in from the floor upwards? Initially you said square block across full length then your diagram looked like a cuboid in the corner , sorry just a bit confused there.

I think if the floor is included in diagrams it makes it more understandable i.e. you see the height of table then work out the width and then length.

The height is 14 cm, the width is 24cm and the length is 30 cm.

Thanks.
no I meant all the way along the join, thus strengthening the whole of this otherwise very weak join

when I 'square' I meant the profile of the wood. Therefore if the length of the join was 240mm then the bit of timber needed would be 50x50x240

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back