Name The UPVC Sash Window Part!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago, I realised that my sash windows were rotten beyond repair and decided to have them replaced with UPVC ones. I borrowed some money on my mortgage and got some quotes from several companies. I chose a man who worked for himself and was local. He said the work would take 4 days. It actually took nearly 5 weeks - some days he just didn't turn up and after several days of trying to contact him, his wife told me he was ill. Other days he would turn up late and go home at dinner time but that is by the by.

When the work was completed, one of the stoppers didn't stay stuck out and there was a piece missing from one of the windows. There was also a corner broken off one of the installed windows. The fitter said he was going to contact the manufacturer and get me a refund and the missing part. I have contacted the fitter and he said somebody from the manufacturer would be coming out in 3 weeks but that was 2 months ago and nobody has been in touch.

Anyway, the missing part is a large piece of white plastic that is placed at the top of the window on each side. One of the pieces is there but the other one is missing. I think it might stop the lower window from being pushed up too far. I have given up on the window fitter getting me a refund or the missing parts and although I should pursue things, the work started on the 16 December and I am fed up of it hanging over me so I thought if I could buy the missing part then I could stop getting myself wound up over the whole thing!!

Does anybody know the "proper" name for the missing part, so I can try and look online to see if I can buy one?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of the one that's in place, sounds like a Jack-A-Nory to me ...pinenot :)

Erm, I have taken a photo - it's not up to much though! Can you see it? I have never posted a photo on here before!![/img]

I believe that part is called the sash stop.
You will need to know what make the windows are to get the right part. Does the guys quote have the make of window written on it? If not try looking on the tops and bottoms of the sash's, There should be a sticker that confirms the windows energy rating and have a code.

From that code you can hopefully find the factory/make by emailing the BFRC, http://www.bfrc.org/

Sponsored Links

Thanks Pinenot! Sorry about the quality of the photo - it was taken on my mobile!

Thanks also to Gazman16 because I have repeatedly asked the fitter who made the windows and where he bought them from but he won't tell me! I wondered where I could find the info from!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back