UPVC Sash Window bottom window not staying up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone. Need some help. I have just moved to a new place and it has UPVC sash windows. The probleM is that the bottom part does not stay up. Any ideas on how to fix without having to replace the window?
B2ED0D0C-F1CF-49F0-98CD-A31A050104C4.jpeg
9C4AC83F-E471-4867-AC5D-77BE031EA29A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Is that a weight I see?
Is there another on the other side?
The old wooden windows had weights to counter balance the windows.
I'm not sure if the modern UPVC windows work on the same principle.

Your query should be in the appropriate forum: Windows and Doors.
I'll ask the mods to move it for you.

Hi Roy. Thanks, if you can get the post moved to the correct forum. Yes that’s a weight and there is one on the other side as well.

Do the weights move up and down with the opening of the windows?
There should be weights for both top and bottom windows, i.e two weights either side.
The weights for the windows will operate in opposition to the movements of the windows as a counter balance, i.e weights for top window at bottom when top window is closed. Weights for bottom window at top when bottom window is closed.
They used to be attached by a chord, but I don't know how they are attached these days.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply Roy. I will check when I get home this evening.

It's not a weight, it's a spring loaded spiral balancer that does the job of what a weight would, I've never done any but I've seen it done, believe you need a special tool to release them but not certain, think the ends are colour coded or have a code number which refers to the weight it's rated to so you need to buy the correct one

As above, they don't use counterweights, you need to adjust the spiral spring. Not something that I have ever done personally. A friend that used to restore timber sliding sashes, would kidnap me from time to time to help him with corded sashes. I never worked on the timber spiral springs though, I know that he had a special "key" for them.

Silly question
.. as it's upvc , has the ' foot' broken where the bottom of the sash meets the spring. If you try and tilt the sash in and look at the springs you'll see a plastic foot. I've seen these break and stop them sliding properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back