Narrow black lines on interior walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have noticed a series of narrow black lines on an interior wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. They are about 30cm long and 1cm apart and only appear in an area about 30cm by 30cm. This area is behind the tap end of the bath but about 50cm above the bath level. There are none at the level of the bath. I put photos of the lines and the corner they are in (just above the drawers on the wall with the door).

We don't use the bath regularly and only shower whilst sitting in it, so that wall does not get directly wet. It is tiled with some 1970's tiles (I attach photos for your viewing pleasure!). It does get condensation although we always open the window after using the bathroom until it has cleared. It is probably about 17 degrees in the bedroom and bathroom.

I read about ghosting but the lines there seem far apart. I am not sure what the walls are made of. Downstairs it is a type of 5-6cm thick board with an insulated middle.

Is this likely coming from humidity in the bathroom? I will redo the silicone around the bath anyway in case there is a small leak as I note it is black behind the taps. Should I seal the grout on the wall as well?

Many thanks,
Gill

Attachments

• 20230208_091525.jpg
    20230208_091525.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230208_091633.jpg
    20230208_091633.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230208_091530.jpg
    20230208_091530.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230208_094303.jpg
    20230208_094303.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230208_094253.jpg
    20230208_094253.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Are they vertical or horizontal?

How old is the house?

I think it is damp from a leak round the tap.

Take off the bath panel, look for damp, and the route of the pipes. They may be inside the wall.

They are vertical and parallel. The house is from 1978.

There are no pipes in the wall - all the pipes are under the bath and run downwards. I attach a picture. It is all dry underneath.

Attachments

• 20230208_110725.jpg
    20230208_110725.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230208_110750.jpg
    20230208_110750.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 37
I don't recognise it then. To highlight damp, tape a piece of clear plastic such as cling film tightly to the wall. If mist or droplets appear under the plastic, the wall is damp. If they appear on the room side, the room is too humid, for example from wet washing.

The plumbing looks OK. What is above that room?

Does the wall appear to be made of plasterboard, of blockwork?

Sponsored Links
P.s.

The marks might be old dust or smoke marks after something was standing or hanging against the wall, or from a heater. Try rubbing it with a dry clean white cloth.

If you use a sponge damp with detergent, it will get more dust off, but may leave a prominent smudge. Dust marks are very fine and difficult to remove.

Sorry, silly question, but have you tried to wipe the marks off the wall?

Probably completely wrong, but I have seen similar marks on a wall, caused by dust from an ancient bar fire - could they be showing through a recent coat of paint?

Aah, beaten to it! :)

I don't recognise it then. To highlight damp, tape a piece of clear plastic such as cling film tightly to the wall. If mist or droplets appear under the plastic, the wall is damp. If they appear on the room side, the room is too humid, for example from wet washing.

The plumbing looks OK. What is above that room?

Does the wall appear to be made of plasterboard, of blockwork?
It is in the loft so above is the roof. But there is no leak as far as I can tell.

The wall is plasterboard.

I will try the clear plastic before I clean it off.

It could feasibility be from an old fire but I doubt it because that would mean that I had not noticed it for two years since we moved in.

Sorry, silly question, but have you tried to wipe the marks off the wall?

Probably completely wrong, but I have seen similar marks on a wall, caused by dust from an ancient bar fire - could they be showing through a recent coat of paint?

Aah, beaten to it! :)
I haven't tried to wipe it off yet but I am pretty sure it only appeared recently and the paint was done years ago.

I will try and clean it off now though and see.

I put a plastic film over one part and cleaned off another. It comes off easily.

I will wait to see what happens with the plastic. Otherwise it must have been there for two years without noticing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back