Narrowboat electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi at the moment i have a garage type 2 way ip rated consumer unit fitted in a narrowboat. The shore power supply is around 6amps 1200watts this is connected into a cu 40 amp rcd main switch leading to two 6 amp mcb's. One mcb is used for the kitchen area the other mcb is used in the living area a total of 5 double sockets and one single socket.

I wish to add an electrical circuit in the bedroom consisting of a one double socket and a low watt wall light and a further circuit consisting of one waterproof socket on the stern of the boat. My question is whats the best way to do this, come straight out of the living room mcb for the extra sockets, spur of the living room circuit for the extra two sockets, get a new 4/5 way rcd cu wire in each separate circuit and if so has this got to be ip rated being on a boat, although it is inside the boat it is in a locker room where there is a mushroom air vent above it.

Many Thanks to the experts in advance Andy

Sponsored Links
yikes your shore supply is small.

if you only have 6A availible total there isn't much point in changing the CU.

if i were you i'd just add the sockets to the existing cuircuits from whatever points are most conviniant using the existing wiring as a guide for what cable type to use etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back