Nasty Smell coming from under Conservatory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm having a problem with a smell in my conservatory that I was hoping someone might be able to advise me on.

My house has a conservatory off the back of the building, and is accessed through the gap where there were previously patio doors.

The neighbouring house has the exact same design of conservatory, but it was built a few years before mine. They each have a brick wall which runs along the boundary, but I'm not 100% sure how tightly sealed these walls are (or if there is a gap between them that is obscured by the cement edge which is visible).

About 3 weeks ago, on a very rainy day, I noticed a really bad smell coming up from behind the skirting board on my conservatory wall. I pulled this back a bit and there is a noticeable gap (of about 1cm or so) between the brick wall and the tiled floor. The smell is quite strongly coming up in the air from here.

There are also fitted "up-lights" set in the concrete base of the conservatory, and I unscrewed the face plate of one of these and the smell seems to be coming up there too.

As the smell seemed to be sewage (to my nose anyway), I suspected a drainage problem and got DynoRod around to inspect the drains. They said that they couldn't find any problems with the drains, and there were no blockages. I contacted the previous owner and they said they had never experienced a smell in the house, and that as an FYI, the manhole for the property is not under the conservatory anyway, but is under the decking outside.

My next idea was that the guttering might be blocked and somehow over-flowing into some sort of gap between the brick walls of the two neighbouring conservatories. I cleared this out as best I could (there was a lot of muck up there), but it was difficult to fully clean the guttering which runs along the shared wall of the two conservatories.

That didn't seem to do much either though, as the smell is still there.

The only other thing I can think of is that it is a dead animal under the house, as I think the air vent for that side of the house may have been covered over by the conservatory. I have no way to access this though, so it's just a guess.

Also, the smell doesn't seem to be outside anywhere, but is now slightly apparent in the hallway. I don't know if this is just because it has wafted in there gradually or because it is also coming up from under the floors there.

At this point, I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions what might be going on, things to check, or how best to tackle the smell in the mean time? It's got to the point where we just have to leave the windows open permanently and have multiple air fresheners in the room, but this is not ideal obviously.

Cheers,
Chris

Sponsored Links
I think the air vent for that side of the house may have been covered over by the conservatory. I have no way to access this though, so it's just a guess.

You need to clarify this 'cos no cross-flow ventilation could lead to rot.

If there are no drains under the space, nor any that could be broken/overflowing from elsewhere, then a dead animal is quite likely.
(The smell is really sickening and once smelt will be memorable. )
More bad news is that it could be some time before it rots down enough to lose the putrefaction odours.
No solutions unless you have some means of access to the under floor space.

Could be the body the builder chucked in the foundations. :eek: :eek:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I think the air vent for that side of the house may have been covered over by the conservatory. I have no way to access this though, so it's just a guess.

You need to clarify this 'cos no cross-flow ventilation could lead to rot.

I'm in the process of getting the builder's contact details from the previous owner and will get clarification on that point.

The previous owner claims that they never had a problem with any smell in the four years since the conservatory was built - plus the neighbours who have basically a mirror image of the house and conservatory (it's a semi) say that they have no smell issues at all.

I've attached a few pics of where I pulled the skirting board back;

The smell is quite strong when the board is pulled back like this, and seems to be strongest at the end of this wall closest to the house. Also, I don't know if that's what the join between the wall and the floor is supposed to look like - can someone verify that this is up to scratch?

Also, I don't know how relevant this is, but this is what the join between my conservatory and the neighbour's looks like;

Like I said before, one suspicion was that water / muck from the guttering above here was getting in between these walls somehow.

TonyW2 said:
If there are no drains under the space, nor any that could be broken/overflowing from elsewhere, then a dead animal is quite likely.
(The smell is really sickening and once smelt will be memorable. )
More bad news is that it could be some time before it rots down enough to lose the putrefaction odours.
No solutions unless you have some means of access to the under floor space.
What would the normal way of accessing the under floor space? Would lifting the floor boards in the adjoining room be advised?

joinerjohn said:
Could be the body the builder chucked in the foundations.
The thought has crossed my mind a few times :)

To all - what should I infer from the fact that the day this smell first appeared was a day of very heavy rain?

Could that be a clue? Maybe that just dislodged some dead mouse or something I guess. Bleh :(

Can the common stinkhorn fungus grow in the dark?
If it can, it might be the cause of the smell. Apparently it smells like raw sewage and it's associated with rotting wood.

SWMBO can smell them under the apple tree, but I can't smell 'em.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back