Smell under Conservatory (split off from old thread)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Chris,

here’s hoping your still around!
Quick question as I am having the EXACT same issue and the smell is driving me to despair, did you get to the bottom of the smell?

I have united utilities coming out to make sure our sewage that runs through the back of the house is ok. failing that I have no clue what so ever on where to even start apart from tearing my floor up and my skirting boards off and basically ruining the full conservatory.

Any help appreciate!

Sponsored Links
Were are the drains relative the the conservatory? Was a drain CCTV survey carried out?

Is the floor suspended or solid? External airbricks around the bottom? What about the other floors?

The drain runs directly under the conservatory - the manhole cover is around 2m to the side of the conservatory. I presume UUtilities will do the camera when they come to investigate.

the smell is coming up from between where the house and the conservatory meet.

I have not got a clue about the floor... it’s 10 years old we only moved into the house 10 months ago. And yes there are air bricks all around the bottom of the conservatory. I cannot smell the stench anywhere else in the house only this room.

Sponsored Links
You can buy a cheap endescope from somewhere like toolstation to look

I lent my "posh" one to a lady at work after they complained about a smell. She found a dead rat. Her house was 150 years old. I would have thought that you would have either a solid or block and beam floor?

sometimes when a conservatory is added, existing drains or manhole covers are hidden beneath it. Look at neighbours houses if they are similar. Any drains or gullies?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back