National outage

The whole country didn’t go off. Just some part of the south and wales
On Friday at 5pm.

Everything was back within 2 hours from what I can make out.

Train problems went in for a day

Sponsored Links
The whole country didn’t go off. Just some part of the south and wales
On Friday at 5pm.

Everything was back within 2 hours from what I can make out.

Train problems went in for a day

and egg and bacon butties could be cooked on the fireman's shovel.
I have asked about that, they say not really enough time or room with a 2 foot 6 inch gauge that only takes 50 minutes end to end to be worth the bother, in the winter when no scheduled trains before using diesel on maintenance trains it may have been done? But today only as a demo.

Sponsored Links
Miniaturisation does have dis-advantages....
Not really miniaturisation, the wider the gauge the faster the train can go, the narrower the gauge the tighter the curves can be, there was originally a three rail part of the line where both narrow gauge and standard gauge could use same track so goods could be transferred, however the standard gauge stopped running, so the narrow gauge became passenger only, and being so slow in real terms tourist only, and the track that ran through middle of Welshpool was removed, the standard gauge is now reinstated but the link has never been reinstated, I know in Porthmadog the Welsh highland railway and road share the same bridge across a river, but this is rather a short run, don't think running for ½ mile through the middle of the town sharing the same road as pedestrians is really likely again?
330px-Welshpool_to_Llanfair_Caereinion_railway_line_%2812989519473%29.jpg
Would be nice though.

Rumour has it that train drivers were not able to reset the train's drive system. Not able or maybe not allowed to reset the system. It is said that technicians had to get to each stranded train to reset the drive systems.
Not really miniaturisation, the wider the gauge the faster the train can go,

Brunel was right then?

Brunel was right then?
Yes however when you look at maintenance cost of this
steam-train-on-the-welsh-highland-railway-(shutterstock-darren-hedges).jpg
narrow gauge engine and compare with this
450px-Kentford_-_60103_climbing_towards_Minehead.JPG
standard gauge engine the standard gauge has bankrupted two millionaires. And both pull many coaches although flying Scotsman is a tad faster although it never has to pull up the gradient that the Welsh Highland railway has to tattle. But the Ex South African Railways NGG 16 Class Garratt is rather an impressive engine, largest I have seen on narrow gauge. The gauge is not same as Llanfair so will never come here, however this
20190617_094122382_iOS%20Square%20for%20newspage.jpg
engine is due to arrive soon on hire from Zillertalbahn in Austria for approx 2 years, looking forward to seeing it run.

a ground frame far better, did not even know what a ground frame was before I started.

I come from a railway family on my fathers side, I have a photo of my great uncle proudly stood in front of his express engine at the local engine sheds. My father was a guard, used to spend days away all over the country, but saw the way things were going and left long before the cuts. I just wish I'd asked more questions as I was growing up, about family and his life. I knew almost nothing but snippets of information before he passed away.

I had thought the lip on the tyres of rolling stock kept them on the lines, but later learned it's the angle of the tyre of the wheels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back