Natural gas shortages this winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a simple question, could gas supplies be cut off to domestic users, due to an actual shortage of the stuff?
I've thought about it but don't understand the technicalities of shutting off gas supplies to domestic users.
I'm thinking that it would be a dangerous action that could mean inadvertent gas escapes.

Sponsored Links
I have a simple question, could gas supplies be cut off to domestic users, due to an actual shortage of the stuff?
I've thought about it but don't understand the technicalities of shutting off gas supplies to domestic users.
I'm thinking that it would be a dangerous action that could mean inadvertent gas escapes.

If you cut off gas to a district let’s say thousands of homes it would cause a logistical nightmare

As and when the gas is reinstated
Every property would need to be visited prior to the supply being turned on

gas company’s have due to tech reasons lost districts in the past

lost meaning inadvertently turned off a district

no they wont cut off to domestic users majority of major industries have tariffs set up that they are allowed to be turned off in the event of shortages .To turn off towns villages cities wont happen it cost to much money and disruption

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Picking a few individuals when gas is in short supply can be construed as possible victimisation, especially if the people they select are bad debtors.
Also, selecting a few individuals is hardly going to save a lot of gas for others.
The difference between gas and electricity is if you leave a light on you can see when power is restored. With gas, the first time you know it is on may possibly be when you flick a light switch in the kitchen!

With gas, the first time you know it is on may possibly be when you flick a light switch in the kitchen!
Hence safety devices known as flame failure/supervision device’s, which a lot will shut off the supply in the event of a lack of gas.

The price hike will help, as people will have to cut back on usage.
Will it though? Not sure if oap’s still get the fuel allowance, but I know a couple of customers that like to leave pilot’s burning all the time on fires.

Hence safety devices known as flame failure/supervision device’s, which a lot will shut off the supply in the event of a lack of gas.

But which a lot of people, especially the older generation, either do not have because they are still using equipment they bought when they first got married, or they have bought second hand, )for whatever reason), and don't realise those devices should be there and working correctly but may not be.

So what/who lights the pilot light and when/why/how?

Isnt that what a pilot light is/does? Its lit all the time?
Answered by transam.
So what/who lights the pilot light and when/why/how?
The end user lights the pilot by means of reading the operating instructions or being shown by their installer, usually by depressing the control knob, but have seen some on remote control. I guess when they want the fire on for heat, same applies to why.

Sponsored Links
Back