De-butchering the gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment, I have:

boiler--------------[mess of pipework]---------------gas point

I will then disconnect the existing pipework and run new copper so I have this:

boiler--| |-----------------[new copper]-----------------------| |--gas point

I can use a 1/2inch screw cap on the boiler to blank off it's gas input. I will use 15mm press fit caps to seal the new copper (inc. an air pressure test for my own sanity) to stop debris ingress.

I could tape over the gas point, but as I've got some wet plumbing, plastering and brick work to do, I would like a more solid plug. It wouldn't be connected to anything, simply to stop ingress.

I imagine it's a standard BSP thread, but I wouldn't want to damage the female thread by putting in a 'close, but not quite right' plug.

Sponsored Links
What you are proposing is DANGEROUS. Do so at your own peril. If I knew where you stay, I would be reporting your work to Gas Safe/ HSE :eek:

It is obvious you are out of your depth as you are asking for guidance. Can you post pictures of work you say you can better and who carried out the work? If indeed the plumbing is that bad, perhaps the orignal fitter should be booted off the Gas Safe Register

Fubar

instead of comming on to a diy forum and asking about gas work standards and best practice and regulatory standards of work, would it be a idea to get the guy you are supposedly intending to make the connections you suggest will be done on completion and ask them what is required, that is if they are happy to make the connections without doing the work. it is after all their call.

so far much of what you suggested would be 'unwise' best do it quick before they change the ACOP as suggested, or you will have to to do more than look at the cost of a gas course and ticket to do same.

good luck :)

If I am asked to connect an existing pipe to a service I must ask certain questions.

If it is many years old, then I may be justified in testing and connecting. If it is recent then I must be sceptical. I have no way of knowing which materials have been used. I am the one who could in fact go to prison if a concealed plastic pipe melts in a fire.

If you ask me to connect to your work, I may but I will ask you to expose it all for inspection and I will open any compression joints to see what has been used to seal them. You will, of course call me a job's worth.

Sponsored Links
Many things to consider.

DP,
As I have yet to start any rectification work, there is little point in directing Gas safe / HSE in my direction. Though I would ask what specific aspects would be dangerous about what I propose? There may very well be some residue gas in the system, one of the reasons I want to remove the old pipes before I start fitting the wet copper around it.

I pray to god that the original fitter was never registered to begin with. If they were, the entire gas safe scheme is a joke. The house was a repossession and, from what we can gather, the last owner attempted a purely DIY renovation including electrics, gas, plumbing and kitchen fitting. All of which need gutting. Alas, we don't know who they are and can't direct a BCO to look at any other work they may have done.

As an example of their work. All their compression fittings were done up with PTFE on the thread. I could undo the 28mm with my hand, and that includes the gas isolators.

Weedrip,
This is a good plan, I have asked my other half to contact her companies gas fitter and will have words with him.

FatPlumber,
Do people put plastic in gas lines? Really? Oh gods, I'm not surprised you're all so reluctant to assist in 'DIY jobs'. As I said earlier, I'll be leaving all the pipes exposed till the entire system is tested and I would welcome a gas guy to inspect my work, like to think the neatness would impress them.

It does make me wonder if forums like this, instead of having a 'no help with gas' policy. At least have a section of 'Don't do gas. BUT, if you insist on doing it, No plastic, correct flux, pipe to this standard, no push fit... etc.

Fubar[/b]

Also, I would never consider someone doing their job properly, in the interest of safety, a jobs worth. If you looked at my plumbing and said 'that is un-safe, I'm not plumbing it in' I would probably hire you to re-route it.

No offence intended but this thread is a joke.

You are clearly determined to undertake the work irrespective of any other view (be they useful or not).

What I fail to understand is why you feel the need to come and 'discuss' the matter.

If you need advice how to do what you intend to do, then you need to take a step back and ask shod you be doing it?

If you don't need help as you're a 'rocket engineer' then again I ask.. Why come and discuss it?

With respect

Dave,

I am asking for people to share knowledge and, where necessary, opinions. I may not be a rocket engineer in reality, but I don't lack sense in any way.

And what is a forum, if not a place to discuss matters. If your mind set is that people should not attempt to do things if they ask for advice on doing them, then you promote bull headed ignorance. Even if you are sure how you would do something, asking for advice can never be a bad thing.

This thread, in my opinion, has brought up several issues that have been useful to me and I'm sure will be useful to other people in the future.

- Does running piping that is not connected to gas sources of sinks, but is intended to carry gas, count as gas work?
- Will gas engineers connect to other peoples plumbing, professional or otherwise?
- Should visual inspections of new, 3rd party pipe runs be made prior to connecting?
- How dangerous is a gas system, even when shut off?
- Some installations can include plastic, This is a massive error.

I may not have the answers I would like, but I am armed with more information than I started with. So for you to call that a joke, I am afraid I am offended.

Fubar.

I really don't have the energy nor inclination to systematically pull apart your last points piece by piece as on an open public forum it sends out the wrong messages.

The message is clear... Don't DIY with gas unless you are COMPETENT. That sir, will be for a court to decide should, and I hope you don't , you ever find yourself infront of one explaining your actions.

I would ask you to consider a few things...

1. Are you conversant in current industry standard and legislation?
2. Can you prove your competence to enforcement bodies etc?

If yes... Off you go... Your choice and its up to you to demonstrate everything.
Don't expect people to sign off your work though.

Oh and the generic statement "some installations can contain plastic, this is a massive error'. It utter rubbish and shows your lack of knowledge with point 1 I raise above.

Thank you to those who contributed to this discussion. For your input, I (and others who read this) are more aware of some of the issues faced when dealing with gas, regardless of circumstance.

While there are many more questions I would like to ask on this topic, from some of the replies I have received, I don't feel that this forum is a suitable place to ask them.

Fubar out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back