Natural limestone fireplace painting query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a natural limestone fireplace with what looks like a hammered veneer texture. The wife would like me to get it changed out but because it is quite wide I have not found matching skirting board so I am looking to try painting it.
Has anyone any experience of painting a limestone fireplace and does it give a good result. I have cleaned the fireplace but the wife still says it looks dirty.
If you have done this and it looks OK I might as well give it a try. Any product recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have not found matching skirting board so I am looking to try painting it.

Some (not many) timber merchants can machine mouldings to match existing samples. In the event that they need to have the cutters custom made it will be prohibitively expensive for a short run though. Earlier in the year I needed 3m of picture rail. I took it to Hansons in west London. The cost of the cutter blade alone would have been over £200. In the end I bodged a pretty close match by b*stardising a different picture rail.

Sorry for the delay in posting the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_095958.jpg
    IMG_20200516_095958.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 319
Sponsored Links
Ok, now I know what I’m dealing with. What colour and what finish Ie matt, satin, semigloss or high-gloss. Has your wife seen something she likes I always find that’s a good starting point.

The skirting is an ogee skirting. They are one of the more common profiles but they all vary slightly from one supplier to another.

If you do decide to replace the fire place and can't find a "perfect" match, you could replace the long lengths either side of the fire place. If the profiles are slightly different they won't be so obvious where they meet in the corners.

With regards to painting the existing surround, there is no reason why you can't. Scrutinise the quality of the stonework closely though before proceeding. From what I can see it looks pretty flat and smooth though.

Johnny Allround.

The wife is looking for an off white colour in a matt finish rather than a shiny finish. I have shown her the limestone colour from the following website which she quite likes https://www.charlesproducts.co.uk/fireplaces.htm so it will be similar to this. Not sure of what products people have used that have given a good result in the finish.

Last edited:
I have used Stonelux it’s quality for what you want to do. I also coated the mantle in a matt varnish for extra protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back