Need 4x2 joists, can I use CLS Softwood Studding 100 x 50mm x 3m (4" x 2") NOM PEFC

Sponsored Links
oh, they only sell to trades

2.9m. It's what is currently down - been there since 1934.

Sponsored Links
The tables give you about 2m depending on spacing. I'd try and get c24 in something a bit wider, or failing that maybe double them up.

Jonbey,
oh, they only sell to trades
Many of these building companies will allow you to purchase (when you buy more than one item) even though you are not a Ltd business.
Look confident when you buy, and if any issues tell then you are a Sole Trader without VAT number (Jon & Bey, sole trader).
SFK

The Wickes one is 95mm - I see a lot this size, but I am only replacing a few joists so need 100mm or it'll be on a slope!

The Wickes one is 95mm - I see a lot this size, but I am only replacing a few joists so need 100mm or it'll be on a slope!

Some sellers quote the finished size after planing. Check the selco small print for the finished size, it's the same. You probably won't be able to exactly match the size off the shelf. You'll probably need to use packers to sit the joists at the correct height and fix a batten to the side to hold the ceiling.

Ah, might contact my local timber merchant then.

That UK Timber site just quoted me £160+vat to deliver. No thanks!

Some sellers (diy places) quote the finished size after planing. Check the selco small print for the finished size, it's the same. You probably won't be able to exactly match the size off the shelf. You'll probably need to use packers to sit the joists at the correct height and fix a batten to the side to hold the ceiling.

Why dooesn't anybody sell 100mm joists? It's not like it's an odd size. If I wanted 97.2mm I'd understand...

Something wrong there surely. Are you sure they're not 4x3, or on a sleeper wall?. You'd need something like 6x2 for 2.9m. If what you end up with is too tall just notch the bottom of the ends.
Most modern stuff is nominal (100mm) regularised (planed) hence actually smaller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back