need a fast growing 7 foot high shrub - which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to have a row of shrubs to cover a length of approx 16 foot eventual height approx 7' to go right next to a 5' high boundray wall to cut down traffic noise and sheild our garden from prying eyes.

I dont really want to start with a 12" high plant and wait 5 years for it to grow big enough - what can I buy that is close to the height I want to end up with bearing in mind practicalities like planting and ensuring it doesnt die etc.

Also, what plant is best?? I'm thinking laurel but my wife doesnt like it :rolleyes:

finally whilst I'm after 7 foot high eventually, I dont want it bushing out too much in width.

any help for a non green gingers person welcomed :)

Sponsored Links
Cherry laurel is a good choice - it's tough, fast growing, attractive glossy evergreen leaves, pretty white candle flowers and black berries but will get wide unless you keep on top of it. If your wife won't have that, pyracanthus is one alternative. It's good for a slender hedge, very thorny so keeps out intruders, creamy flowers that butterflies love and berries that birds love - comes in red/orange/yellow berried variations. It's fast growing, not as fast as the laurel though.

Buying plants close to your desired height is going to be pricy. At that kind of size, the plants will be supplied pot-grown rather than bare root (bare root season is finished for this year anyway). I'd say a pot-grown 150cm cherry laurel for example will be at least £30 per plant, maybe a bit more. A 150cm pyracanthus is probably a little cheaper.

Bamboo would grow fast and provide a slim screen. You'd have to make sure you get a clump forming varieties and even then, it's wise to restrict them with a root barrier.

Or there's always the dreaded leylandii. Grows fast, easily kept to desired height/width despite its bad rep. There are some nice golden varieties available.

Don't forget the downside of fast growing hedging: it will also need frequent cutting to keep it under control!

Honestly buying large instant effect plants is a waste of money. The number of times i have seen laurel 2 foot tall planted beside 6 foot tall ones that were 10 times the price and after 2 years they are the same height.

Large plants need a lot of water so are best planted in autumn or winter.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the info. I'm erring toward laurel. Dont want prickly shrubs at all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back