Need a handy man/professional to hire in the UK Hertfordshire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am planning some home renovations and I am in need of a handy/professional who is able to carry out some works in my home.

I am looking for quotes to carry the following jobs below:

1. Couple of floor boards upstairs to be fixed

2. 11 interior door fittings and architraves

3. Laminate flooring fitting in 5 rooms total area of 68 m2. With floor skirting boards too.

4. Some of the guttering needs to be changed outside

5. Ceiling cracks to be checked and resolved depending on the cause. Possible ceiling leak in the dining area to be checked, not sure if this needs a replaster or not.

6. Kitchen flooring tiling replacement possibly: Area: 30m2

7. Some wall units to be installed

8. couple of rooms to be plastered

(Possibility) 9. New kitchen and small bathroom suite fitting, window replacements and 2 PVC Door installation, stair renovation & painting << These are possible requirements depending on the quotes given to us depending on my budget.

Would like the cost of labour only please to carry out the jobs. I will be purchasing doors, flooring, parts & accessories needed etc... looking to carry out the work within 8 weeks, though would like quotes as soon as possible.

Would be nice to discuss plans and consider your ideas before carrying out the job to be cost efficient.

Thank you all in advance

Sponsored Links
I would not advise using any kind of handyman for most of those, you should use a professional suited to the job in hand eg a plasterer for plastering, a joiner for the doors, a floor professional for the floors, etc. And if you want supply the products remember you'll not get a fitters warranty on anything you supply and you must have everything on site before they start. So lots of different professionals IMO. Or if you want to employ a suitable builder or other qualified individual to project manage the various professionals go that way instead. But a 'handyman' will not be suitable here. And if you want like for like quotes and minimize disputes you should compile a Scope of Works document that details exactly what is required and what items you want to supply and what items you will expect the professionals to supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not advise using any kind of handyman for most of those, you should use a professional suited to the job in hand eg a plasterer for plastering, a joiner for the doors, a floor professional for the floors, etc. And if you want supply the products remember you'll not get a fitters warranty on anything you supply and you must have everything on site before they start. So lots of different professionals IMO. Or if you want to employ a suitable builder or other qualified individual to project manage the various professionals go that way instead. But a 'handyman' will not be suitable here. And if you want like for like quotes and minimize disputes you should compile a Scope of Works document that details exactly what is required and what items you want to supply and what items you will expect the professionals to supply.

@freddiemercurystwin Thank you so much for the vital information that you have provided. Do you recommend anyone who can carry out any one of the following which I have provided, or a company that may know different fields to project manage the work ?as you have mentioned.

Thanks ever so much for your reply and thanks again in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I missed a vital word out of my first post, the first line should have read 'I would not advise'.

I don’t know anyone in your location, you can approach various builders who may have someone they use for each various item, or approach a suitable surveyor or project manager or you could do it all yourself, it really depends how savvy you are to these things. For instance who will be responsible for removing the skirting before the plasterer, who will remove the sockets and fix them back on afterwards, who will be responsible to protect the rest of the property/floor when the plasterer is working if appropriate, is the joiner supplying the hinges and screws to the doors or are you, if you are how do you know to get three or two hinges per door etc etc – there are a hundred different little things like this, individually minor items but combined it will seem like a full time job! But the scope of works is pretty essential IMO, that way if you have that already when you speak with them they will (hopefully) see that you are serious and it will give them something tangible to see , then that scope can be edited following your various discussions. You can even employ someone to write/hone your scope, if you opt for that route. Or maybe you’ll get real lucky and employ a really good team of cooperative guys. In your search for suitable people avoid all of the different websites like Mybuider etc though.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest you look in the local, to your area, free press. Those publications usually carry adverts from the sort of trades you are asking ablout.

But I can only agree with FMT's comments - really if you are not sure and are unable to obtain advise from knowledgeable family or friend then it's better to ask a professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back