need a new toilet what ones flush best

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i need a new toilet and would like some advice on what ones flush best. As this is the problem i have with the current one it just will not flush everything away, toilet paper just floats. I had it apart last week to check for anything stuck and cleaned it all up, but its still the same so i have decided to get a new one just do not want to have the same problem now or in a year or so time, i was thinking of going somewhere like wickes or b and q, thanks

Sponsored Links
Its another load of tosh slung at us from EU lalaland. bogs that wont flush. They will eventually want us to squat over holes like savage animals. See if you can get an old unused one that will sling a good old British gallon of water down it to do the business like civilized people.

Problem is all toilets are now set to flush 6 litres this is a saving of 3 litres over the old fashioned 9L flush.
However we now have to flush twice so we use 12L and takes up more of our day.
You may be able to adjust the amount being flushed dependant on your flush valve.

if you are willing to tinker, try a Flapper valve instead of a syphon. It gives a good forceful flush. You have to remove the cistern to fit it though.

Also verify that the water level in the cistern is adjusted to the full safe height, to maximise your flush.

Sponsored Links
Its another load of tosh slung at us from EU lalaland.

No it isn't.
It's from the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999.
That came from London, not Brussels.

The EU connection is that there is now a proposal for an EU-wide voluntary standard for low-flush toilets, of surprise surprise 6l maximum flush. I.e. the EU is copying the UK standard.

Get a double-trap syphonic toilet; these suck the solids out as part of the flush sequence rather than relying upon the flush "pushing" the solids round the bend. Much better at clearing "floaters" and saves on both water and paper since it eliminates the frustration of multiple flushes trying to clear what refuses to sink.

well been out looking at toilets this afternoon and it looks like what started off as a 50-200 pound job is now going to be a 400-700 pound job as the toilets are not going to match the existing suite. So this would mean a whole new bathroom suite and and full redecoration :(

if you are willing to tinker, try a Flapper valve instead of a syphon. It gives a good forceful flush. You have to remove the cistern to fit it though.

Also verify that the water level in the cistern is adjusted to the full safe height, to maximise your flush.

so what does the flapper valve actually do? and does it fit in all cisterns as they seem to be about a tenner on the bay. Might be the better option as there is nothing wrong with the bathroom suite just the toilet not flushing propperly

Effectivly drops the entire contents into the pan without having to go through a siphon - much faster flow of water.

We (or precisely, I - my wife doesn't seem to suffer from the same problem!) have problems of poo not flushing away fully and floaters, well, continuing to float.
The idea of a double trap syphonic toilet interests me. I have googled them, but cannot find any retailers.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

i have also today googled the double syphonic but it just seems to relate to older toilets, if the flapper valve just drops all the water will it not all splash up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back