Toilet Flushing Problem (Paper Left)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a small but annoying issue I have.

We have just moved into a new house and for some unknown reason our toilet does not like flushing the paper!

What seems to happen is that the paper gets filled up with air as the toilet flushes and just floats on the top spinning around leaving the paper behind. :confused: This means we either have to leave it till the paper sinks and flush again or have to flush twice whenever someone uses any paper.

Not the most cost efficient toilet I have to say and quite gross. So any help or guidance would be great on the issue.

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
You can either buy a different toilet, or different bogrolls.
Personally, I'd keep the bog and change the rolls

Morning all,

Not the most cost efficient toilet I have to say and quite gross.
Thanks. :)
That`s not gross...Trying to read the print on the newspaper in the bucket of the privy, when the Mrs. has used it -and you wanted it kept. THAT is gross :evil: Just get another type of paper ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys guys. We will give some different paper ago this week and see if this helps.

The flush on our toilet is quite volatile, so maybe this is more of an issue than the paper itself. Anyone have any ideas how to tame down the flush.. power? ;)

The fault is not the toilet paper. The fault is the bog.

The most likely cause is its one of those cheap bogs you buy from B n Q for about £50/60 quid. I was advised never to buy them as one of the plumbers i know said he often had problems flushing paper away.

You have 2 options. One is to raise the water level in the cistern, by adjusting the ball valve. The more water you have going through the flush, the more momentum you create which should hopefully force the paper through. You may have to raise the water level to as high as is possible without it overflowing.

Option 2 is to replace the cheap bog with a new, better bog with a larger water capacity. Yes yes not very environmentally friendly blah de blah but come on, you using another litre to flush the toilet isnt going to bring the world to an end.

However, on the off chance you are a poncho wearing, slipper yielding hippy, why not just go with nature and fertilise your garden every morning? No bog, no bogroll, but a well fertilised garden and a smelly bum. :p

you might like to post a photo of your WC or describe how high the cistern is.

But please dont post a pic of your smelly bum or used paper :D

Thanks for the heads up on that one Matty. :cool:

IronNaz: As i'm no expert I really could not tell you if it is an B&Q special, but I did look into the water level item and although it was set to what looked like the highest level I did manage to increase the level by about an inch or so.

Hopefully that will do the trick. I did however find out whilst doing this that the overflow pipe is not attached to anything and just pours onto the floor!! Nuggets.. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Maybe your cistern has a duff syphon which doesn't lift enough water ?

The best flush I have ever seen is since we fitted a flapper type instead of the old syphon, these also have a built in overflow that goes into the pan so doesn't need pipework.

Thanks for the heads up on that one Matty. :cool:

IronNaz: As i'm no expert I really could not tell you if it is an B&Q special, but I did look into the water level item and although it was set to what looked like the highest level I did manage to increase the level by about an inch or so.

Hopefully that will do the trick. I did however find out whilst doing this that the overflow pipe is not attached to anything and just pours onto the floor!! Nuggets.. :rolleyes: :LOL:
my advice wont help the flushing prob but i suggest you fix the overflow ASAP, although you physically caused the overflow to go too high then fixed it what do you think is going to happen anytime soon when the ballcock washer wears and it overflows for real (usually during the night when the pressure is greater), never when you are standing there looking at it :eek:

my advice wont help the flushing prob but i suggest you fix the overflow ASAP, although you physically caused the overflow to go too high then fixed it what do you think is going to happen anytime soon when the ballcock washer wears and it overflows for real (usually during the night when the pressure is greater), never when you are standing there looking at it :eek:
I always thought this happened when you were on holiday; you come back and find a note on the door that the police forced the lock and you can get the replacement keys at the local cop-shop.

I always thought this happened when you were on holiday; you come back and find a note on the door that the police forced the lock and you can get the replacement keys at the local cop-shop.

:eek: wow! your local police also fix your plumbing eh?! Blooming marvellous!! :LOL:

Police don't do anything, they are just there to observe when the locksmith opens the door, to let emergency plumber stop the leak.
Mostly above groundfloor flats for obvious reasons.

As reported in a local paper some years back, "The alarm was raised by the postman, who noticed water running from the letterbox." :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back