Need a screw slightly bigger than this one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if you could help me and let me know if any of the sheds or big companies would have something like this or if you'd order it online?

I've moved into a house where the bathroom sink has a plunger to open the plughole. I've noticed that the mechanism isn't working correct and on close inspection it looks like the previous owner has let the screw fall out and it's no longer there. I've found a a screw but it's slightly too small and it wont quite bite in the thread. Any suggestion what to do or where I can buy a new screw for it? What sizes is it likely to be?

2e0jzmr.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
go down to your local shed with said screw and find 1 bigger.simples.

As a temp repair you can cable tie the link, or open a single paper staple up, poke it thru the hole and the screw you have will bite.

Genius trick! Thanks for the suggestion.
Do you think B&Q will have what I need? Any idea of the sizes I'll be looking for what "type" of screws they are? Or am I better trying wickes?

I have both shops near me but I'm new to the area so don't know the independents yet :(

Sponsored Links
Looking at the photo it would seem that the screw is about 4mm diameter, but for a metric thread it looks too coarse. For that application I would have expected around the 5mm mark really.
In other words, it could be anything, unfortunately, including 3/16 whitworth or BA size.
Have you no assortments kicking around the shed or somewhere?
John :)

Looking at the photo it would seem that the screw is about 4mm diameter, but for a metric thread it looks too coarse. For that application I would have expected around the 5mm mark really.
In other words, it could be anything, unfortunately, including 3/16 whitworth or BA size.
Have you no assortments kicking around the shed or somewhere?
John :)
I thought it looked coarse too John, but (quick look at Zeus) 4mm is 0.7 pitch, and that looks about what it is to me.
Guess the OP wants a 5mm?
Just to be confusing I agree that it could be imperial sizes though on some modern stuff. I've found some Whit and BA lately. Presumably the makers somewhere abroad are using old imperial machinery.

If a 4mm setscrew is just too small, then it could be a 2BA which is required. The tapping size for 2BA is 4mm, and the diameter of the screw is 4.7mm. If it is not 2BA, then it could be 3/16 UNF or even 1/4 BSF (BSF seemed to be one size above that expected) but the thread dos not look coarse enough for UNC/BSW)

HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back