Need a support for a shower curtain rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I put up a shower curtain rail, but I am not convinced about its strength. I would like to use a some kind of support from the Ceiling to the shower rail probably from the center , Its a long U shape around the bathtub (I could not have a straight poll / L because of a window)

Can Anyone please recommend a product or piece that I can use and where I could purchase it from as I am having no luck

Much appreciated !!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-01-24 at 11.05.04.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-01-24 at 11.05.04.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 208
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-01-24 at 11.05.13.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-01-24 at 11.05.13.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 242
Sponsored Links
Simple chain from ceiling, though if it needs further support it would be inclued with rail.

Or picture wire. Those L rails are surprisingly good if the wall fixings are solid

EDIT (In case of any confusion) they'll support a normal shower curtain no problem and will usually survive a lunging grab at the curtain when you're falling over but in that sort of event it'll acquire a big baggy sag and you'd need to release and retighten the track fixing screws to get the the thing level ish again. Don't try doing chin-ups on it!

Last edited:
You can get shower curtain rail support brackets on ebay, but they tend to be for round rails rather than straight type that you have.

Sponsored Links
The rail will need to hold a light bit of shower curtain (even if it has weights attached) and that alone should suffice. If you want a support from the ceiling, what are you going to attach it to? No point attaching to plasterboard - if you do fall and grab the shower curtain, you may bring down the ceiling too!

I think you need to have another look at your fixings at the end above the shower - looking at the rail in relation to the tile grout lines, it is already falling down.

I stayed in a cheap hotel recently where the L shaped shower curtain rail was secured on the corner by 3 large cable ties making a chain down from the ceiling! I thought that was a fantastic piece of bodgery, gold star to the handyman :mrgreen:

You need to use a manufacturer such as croydex who can supply ceiling hangers, I would ccut your losses and ditch the one you have.

Ours came with two ceiling supports, screwed them into the joists above (not just plasterboard!.).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back