Need advice for soffits, guttering, facia replacements...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Busy getting quotes for this job, last came in at £1250 which didnt seem too bad (compared to Zenith Windows £8000 which we got down to £1750!)... mainly using established companies from checkatrade...

Had one chap around today, think he was with a smaller firm, as he was the actual builder, rather than a sales rep...

Now I asked him about what he would actually do when replacing soffits and guttering, as the other 2 quotes I had included removing the last row of roof tiles and inserting protection boards to eliminate "ponding", which I thought was very thorough..you can see what they do here... on the video.

http://www.fasciadivision.co.uk/index.php

When I spoke about this with the other builder, he said that none of this was really necessary, and to be done properly you should go back about 1m.. He didnt do this, I gather he just took down old bits and replace with new.. Whereas the procedure on the video looks very professional....

Im really querying what the builder said, that it wasnt really necessary, particularly if there is no sign of any tile or felt damage.. which I suppose makes sense.... I havent had his quote yet, so I dont know what the difference is between what he will do, and what the other company will do... but the video certainly looks like a good job...

Any advice....

Sponsored Links
im doing this on a job at moment and am removing bottom tile.cutting defective old rubberoid felt.using 6mm ply from fascia ,up the rafter so theres a slope forward.laying 300mm dpc,ensuring a minimum 150mm lap under the existing felt.then replacing the tile.
makes sense to use the board while you are replacing the fascias.

it depends on age of roof to be honest if roof is only a few years old for example i would not take out first row of tiles but if a bit older definatley must be done the same way as previous post also depends if builder is going to replace old fascia board or just capp over the top which is much easier and cheaper for him but not the best job for you

it depends on age of roof to be honest if roof is only a few years old for example i would not take out first row of tiles but if a bit older definatley must be done the same way as previous post also depends if builder is going to replace old fascia board or just capp over the top which is much easier and cheaper for him but not the best job for you

Fascia boards should always be replaced if they're decaying. It's a lousy job if you cap over them with PVC - looks OK but the boards will be rotting away underneath and this rot could eventually find its way into your roof timbers....

Sponsored Links
Busy getting quotes for this job, last came in at £1250 which didnt seem too bad (compared to Zenith Windows £8000 which we got down to £1750!)... mainly using established companies from checkatrade...

Had one chap around today, think he was with a smaller firm, as he was the actual builder, rather than a sales rep...

Now I asked him about what he would actually do when replacing soffits and guttering, as the other 2 quotes I had included removing the last row of roof tiles and inserting protection boards to eliminate "ponding", which I thought was very thorough..you can see what they do here... on the video.

http://www.fasciadivision.co.uk/index.php

When I spoke about this with the other builder, he said that none of this was really necessary, and to be done properly you should go back about 1m.. He didnt do this, I gather he just took down old bits and replace with new.. Whereas the procedure on the video looks very professional....

Im really querying what the builder said, that it wasnt really necessary, particularly if there is no sign of any tile or felt damage.. which I suppose makes sense.... I havent had his quote yet, so I dont know what the difference is between what he will do, and what the other company will do... but the video certainly looks like a good job...

Any advice....

Yes the video looks very good, i'd like one of those for my site. Anyone notice as he used hollow cladding for a full replacement soffit? It doesnt locate properly into the leg of the fascia where a 9mm flat board 'locks' in place.

DaMekon don't use zenith whatever you do. I'd go with the company with the video, they look good. You don't need to go back a metre as the felt only rots right at the end. We have probably gone back a metre on around 15 houses in 11 years.

Don't have gutter guard, its w4nk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back