need advice on fitting combi boiler

Recently replaced my mums baxi back boiler for a Viessmann Compact Open Vent boiler in the airing cupboard, left her already insulated copper cylinder in place, converted to a fully pump set up, and seriously lagged all pipework. She has the hot water on 4 times a week for an hour to heat the cylinder, not had to have the heating on obviously. She just showed me her gas bill for the summer £8.35. And I know she will allways have hot water as the immersion is also in place, and she will always be warm, because she has a nice gas fire in the living room.

Sponsored Links
Hi Minion,

Thinking I will hang on to my old boiler at the moment but I guess I will need a gas safe engineer to check the installation when I move it, how to PM on here ?
I have good experience of assembling high pressure hydraulic and pneumatic sytems and have always done my own work.

Cheers

Thank you for your time and thoughts, I think I am tempted to stay with my system as it is and just replace the old Baxi gas boiler for a more efficient one.
One thing, all my water is heated via the gas, the copper cylinder is heated by the Baxi, not electric immersion.
That is why I was asking...is it worth considering to use electric to heat the water, I see you say electric is more expensive...so myabe I will stick with my all gas system then.
Do you think I will save on the gas with a new boiler? is it worth the expense to change it? The baxi works well enough I am just not sure it is as efficient as a modern one.
Thanks again and to everyone on this forum, really so helpful :)

Hi,

This might also help but the Goverment are running a boiler scrappage scheme and your back boiler will qualify for a £400 voucher from them.

You will need to get a quote from a Gas Safe company but any gas safe registered installer can then install the boiler and sign the voucher.

I see you are from Midlothian, if you are unsure about anything or need any advice PM me. I live near Penicuik and we cover Edinburgh and the Lothians and could offer you free advice.

Cheers

What makes you think the OP's boiler is a Band G mate?? I think you'll find Band G boilers are as rare as a bar of soap in the East End of Glasga;
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/B...rence/using-less-energy/BoilerScrappageScheme

Band G boilers;
http://www.sedbuk.com/cgi-local/result1.cgi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back