Need advice on Interior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to change my doors i have seen some light weight white 6 panel in diy.com but they seem to be blown by the wind and bang a lot from expirience in my brother's house. They look great and smart but just the light weight and easily bang. any advice on the best doors for bedrooms and bath?

Sponsored Links
The one you looked at where probably about £30, they are made of air with a thin wrapping of hardboard

You can get solid core doors which are much more substantial, or fire doors which are a bit thicker and much heavier. You may need to beef up or replace your frames and will need bigger hinges.

I have fire doors and they are very good for blocking out noise. They are also substantial enough to inconvenience a burglar if locked, which the hollow ones won't. If you remember to shut them, and they are correctly installed, they will delay the passage of fire and smoke. In some homes, they are compulsory.

If you are prosperous, you can get solid timber doors, but for indoor use they are usually only 35mm thick and quite light and flimsy.

Here's an example 6-panel fire door.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wob...th-Moulded-6-Panel-1981mm-Height/p/9000152502
Other suppliers will have something similar.

Unless you are unusually skilled at door-hanging, a professional carpenter will do it faster and very much better than you.

There are also semi-solid doors - I am not sure exactly what that is but I bought them for about £55 each (+ VAT) and they are solid enough for interior use.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back